Lots more questions.

UtahnBirder

Reefing newb
1. How do online fish stores ship fish? I can't think of a way that wouldn't be extremely expensive or risky...
2. Are invertebrates usually considered in the Reef Safe or Aggressive category?
3. Are anemones considered coral?
4. Is starting with a FOWLR and then switching to reef recommended?

1. They ship them overnight. There isn't anything risky about it really -- how do you think they got the fish in the first place? Or to your local fish store, for that matter? Those fish came all the way from Australia, the Pacific Islands, Hawaii, or the Caribbean. The fish are bagged, oxygenated and surrounded by heat packs to keep the water temperatures stable, then packed in a cooler and off they go in the Fedex truck!

2. It depends on which invertebrates. There are reef safe and non reef safe invertebrates of every category -- shrimp, crabs, snails, starfish, etc.

3. Anemones are not corals. They are a different type of invertebrate.

4. Yes. It's a good idea to get the hang of things with fish before trying corals. Plus, that gives you time to save up money for a good set of lights that you will need for a reef tank.

Alright to number 1. That is how I assumed but that is rather expensive :P

2. Hermit crabs and snails are reef-safe, yes?
3. Gotcha.
4. What types of lights will I need for FOWLR/Reef?

2. It depends :) There are many different types of hermit crabs and snails. In general, the hermit crabs you buy at a fish store are reef safe, however they can be destructive. With snails, it totally depends on the species of snail. There are plenty that will destroy your corals. You need to know what kind of snail it is before you buy it.

4. For a FOWLR tank, you can use any light you want. Even the cheapo single fluorescent strip bulb will do. You will only be keeping rock, fish and a cleaner crew (no clams, corals or anemones), so you don't need any special light. For a reef tank, you will need to upgrade to either T5 or metal halide lights (or power compacts, if you have a small tank).

2. some crabs and some snails are reef safe some are not.
4. For FOWLR just basic flourescent is fine, for reef you will want something stronger. Power compacts, T5's, VHO's and or MH.

Be careful buying hermits...people love 'em or hate em. A few irritable hermits can kill your snails for their precious shells. Almost all my trochus snails have fell victim to my blue striped hermits. I was mad at first, but the hermits have a lot more personality/activity than snails. Downside is, they don't clean the glass.

I have found that while snails stick to the glass and feed from that algae, an algae scraper does a much better job on the glass and hermits do alot better job on the rocks. I have had both and am done with snails. That is my personal opinion. A lot of others like snails. For my tank and rocks, hermits and a mag float do the trick.

Hey hey hey, using an algae scraper requires effort!!!

I personally like the big turbos, they seem like the only ones that really do some work.

Back