Lots of questions new to the hobbie.

Tristin

Reefing newb
Hey everybody, i got lots of questions im 15 and am going to start a saltwater aquarium i have to 45 gallon fish tanks. I am hoping to start out with agressive fish such as triggers or some sort of eel. I like snow flake eels and most of the triggers but am not sure how many fish i could put in my tnak if i get a snow flake eel because they grow fairly large. I want like 6 fish with fairly high agression fairly hardy any suggestions?

Hello and welcome to the site...if you want aggressive fish in the 45gal, you are limited to maybe two fish, and thats because they are such messy eaters which will foul your water quality fairly quickly, and of course, very aggressive and will fight for space.

Thanks guys. I have some more questions with a 45 gallon tank how much live rock should i get off the start like the minumum because i have to buy a skimmer to. And what kind of sand should i get should i just get two 20 pound bags of sand?

As far as rock go, you should get 1-2 lbs per gallon...to save money get mostly dry base rock and then a few pieces of live rock to seed the rest. Make sure you get arogonite sand, and not crushed coral, its up to you in reference to how deep you want it. You don't have to get all the rock at one time, it can be kinda expensive.

welcome to the site, welcome to the hobby
some advice on sand, i would go with only about 3/4" of sand on the bottom
with an agressive tank it could save you a lot of problems later
less sand=less waste build up which = better water quality

Hello and welcome.
As far as the bottom goes, you could even go 'bare bottom' and eliminate any chance of any build up at all. If you go that way I'd recommend going heavy on the live rock and use at least 2 lbs per gallon.

Hi and welcome! A snowflake eel would be fine in your tank, but any trigger would grow way too big way too fast.

Aggressive tanks usually have to be much larger than yours, because the animals are so territorial and will fight each other.

In addition to the eel, you could keep a small puffer or a dwarf lionfish.

There are also some non-reef safe wrasses that would do well, like the lunare wrasse.

Back