Lots of questions.

Invisible

Reefing newb
First off, I just got done ordering acrylic for a new tank I want to build. It's dimensions are going to be 48" long by 11" wide. Seems to be around 23 gallons, give or take. I think I am going to go with a "bean animal" drain system. I also thinking
of a sump system. I just get so confused on what to do with it, as far as chambers go. I know I want heater, skimmer
and return pump in there. I was also thinking a refugium. and maybe a small dsb system. The problem is flow and
placement of each thing through the sump. Any help of thoughts on how you would do it would be helpful.

My next question is stocking, I would like to keep several gobies of the same type. No shrimp, just gobies. I was
thinking 4 greenbanded gobies. Thoughts here would be helpful also.

Still looking at auto top offs, I have a tunze last, but was not impressed by the noise the pump made. Mine only
lasted 2 years, Guess I expected more for 200 dollars. Tell me what you use, and how long you have had it.

The aquarium will be custom, as well as the sump.

Thanks everyone.

A 48x11 = 23g's?

I would not go dsb.

There are to many gobies, they won't get along to we'll unless they are from the same clutch. Even then I think adulthood and aggression will set in.

I purchased the generic jbj ato. 79.99 and it still works. (Over 2 yrs.)

You were right, I checked a aquarium calculator, and it turns out to be 25 gallons.

Everything I read said, " Mutiple individuals may be kept together in the same aquarium." I have never kept these so I really don't know that much about them, other than what I have found on the net.

I looked at the JBJ ato, just wanted some feedback from some people who have one. What pump do you use with it?

Thank you for taking some time, and helping me. I do appreciate it.

A fuge would be good, I myself would nix the DSB but they work for some people. As far as the Gobies (depending on species) are concerned a few in a 25g tank might be asking for trouble. Although I'm sure that there are people out there that have with no issue it's taking a chance. I understand that green banded gobies do well in small groups. I would add them all at the same time, any other gobies or fish of similar body shape could be problematic.
I have a generic auto topoff I purchased from autotopoff.com $50 and I use a Tom's Aqua Lifter pump $15 super quiet have never had an issue with it for 3 1/2 years.

Yes, I can't wait to have a fuge. I will go with you guys, and say "no" to the dsb. I will look into that ato system also.
I am hoping my acrylic for the tank will be here soon. Think I am going with two 150w halides for lighting. I have been
reading a lot about led systems, but I don't think I'm ready for the change.

I might build a multiple sump stand, I would rather have more options than not enough. Thought it would be nice
to move components in and out of the stand as needed. And I hope I can do a much better job of keeping wires
neat, and labeled.

I guess as far as fish go, I just wanted a group of something that were not aggressive. If anyone has other ideas
for stocking it, let me know.

These gobies are one of the few I've had luck keeping in groups. Just provide ample rock for them to perch in/on/around to get away from each other if they start feeling frisky. Most other gobies though, I don't recommend trying this with. And, I would also recommend introducing ALL of them at the same time. Keep in mind though, after those four fish, you're at the limit fish wise for the size tank you're talking about (biologically).

Thanks Anthony. When the time comes I will put them in all at once. May I ask how many you kept at once?
I'm o.k. with just having gobies. Just want to keep it simple. Are they are a hardy species?

Took long enough to get my acrylic, but it's finally here. So, I am going with the bean animal overflow.
I am going putting the overflow on the outside back of the aquarium. My next tough question is how
long do I make the teeth? 1" I should say that the overflow is 1 foot wide. What would you do?

Here is the start, spend the last 3 days putting most of it together. The strips of paper on the back are for the overflow.
I want to paint it first then add the overflow. I will add a center brace. Still trying to figure out what I want it to look like.

Attachments

• new tank.JPG
    new tank.JPG
    156.3 KB · Views: 271
So, I'm going with the bean animal overflow. I used 3/4 pvc pipe. Just wondering how I determine what the flow
rate should be for my return pump. Any help would be awesome!

Going with 2 150w metal halides. I'm still collecting parts for the build. I just got my Hydor ATO today.
Still trying to determine a what pump to use. Might go with a DC pump for the adj. flow.

Back