Lots of Small Air Bubbles in Tank

Djturna4thakidz

Reefing newb
My tank has hundreds of very small oxygen bubbles floating around in the water. My right powerhead (return flow from the sump) spits out a burst of little bubbles every 15 sec or so, and they are everywhere. The guy at my LFS store told me when i sat up my tank that if large air bubbles are coming out to turn off the pump and try and get the air bubbles out of the line because they cause your pump to overheat and break down. Do these small bubbles mean that there is air somewhere in my line? I also have a lot of water movement in my sump that I think may be adding the bubbles. Are the bubbles ok or should I take some action to get this to stop? or will it work itself out? I am new at all this and could use some help, thanks so much

Do you see a vortex forming where the pump in the sump sucks air? It's usually a sign that your sump level is too low. I had the same problem. I raised the sump level, and it fixed the problem.

It could also be the skimmer if you have one in the sump. I'm battling microbubbles from my new skimmer right now. Adding a baffle or filter sock would do the trick usually.

If the return from your sump is spitting out the bubble then iwould think the water is too low by the pump and it is sucking in air. You may also have a loos fitting somewhere, but after the pump water should come out, but it can create a venturi if your pump is strong enuf. How big is this pump? Also, the skimmer question, if is new they create lots of micro bubbles for a while, then taper off. Try putting the skimmer return into a filter sock to see if that reduces the bubbles, you dont have to keep it that way, its just the process of elimination...

I just set up the tank two weeks ago and dont have a protein skimmer yet, so we can rule that out. I dont know the exact size or power of the pump but I know it is big for my setup, the guy at the LFS said I needed a good amount of flow. I have not noticed a vortex in the return chamber, but I will check this afternoon. You guys dont think it is just that my water is very aireated (if thats the right word) from being churned in the pump? Is it going to make any difference if I turn the pump off and then back on?

Try raising your water level if you can, and see if that fixes it. Raise it as much as you can if you have room....do you have pics of it?

Back