Love this! Don't love the price, any DIY ideas?

Picasso

Seahorse Whisperer
I found this and I think I love it but I'm not sure. Mostly, I love the height. I don't know if I would like acrylic and I don't know about an "all in one" unit. I'm really struggling with understanding plumbing. Heres my questions: Is acrylic better than glass for maintenance and will it distort my photographs? Am I spending a bunch of money on an all-in-one unit when I could put something better and cheaper together on my own?

MyFishTank - 75 Gal. Seahorse Tank 48" x 15" x 24"Tall - Acrylic, Aquarium, Fish Tank, Stand

thanks,
C

Acrylic and glass both have pros and cons

Acrylic is lighter but scratches easier and more expensive

Glass cheaper and doesnt scratch as easily.

90% of the time you can put together a system that is cheaper than an all in one system. But takes more work.

I know its a round about answer but asking if glass or acrylic is better is like asking what do you want on your pizza. Most people have a different oppinion:Cheers:

optically they are pretty close, the distortion issue is going to be much more related to the individual casting, rather than the differences between glas and plastic... if the acrylic has casting distortions then yea, and thats more likely than it is with glass. but i would also think that if there were that big of a defect that they wouldnt sell it...

as for maint. i think that glass is easier, cause you can use a real metal scraper to clean the inside, and just about anything on the outside(if your careful not to get any in the tank)

With the acrylic, if you ever wanted to silicone anything, well, your screwed, cause it wont stick very well, and if you scratch it, it can be repaired, but thats lots and lots of work, and may leave distortions... not to metnion that you cant just clean it with anything, no metal scrapers, and no abrasive scrubbies, so that makes cleaning the inside a little more challenging.. and you have to be careful about what chemicals you use on it as well, some cause crazing, some cause other problems...

then theres the part where this tank is a "tall" meaning that my standard 75 is 48 wide, 18 front to back and about 20 tall(thats going from memory) and this one is taller and less distance front to back.. I prefer more surface area....

not to mention that its a 75, but i'd bet you loose some of that due to all the plumbing being in that back section... so your limiting and short changing yourself on tank volume...

personally, i dont like it, its an interesting concept, but not something i would spend 700 bucks on, i could set up a nicer, bigger tank for that kinda $$ or at least if your willing to give the the $$ i'm willing to try...

not to mention that i never buy anything "ready to go", theres allways something i wanna change, so, i figure why get stuck with someone else's ideas, when i can just build what i think is right...

but if you get it, let us know what you think.. i'm currious now...

The main reason I was looking at this is it's height. My horses need a minimum height of 20" which is the height of every tank I've seen. This all-in-one has been modified with the needs of horses in mind but that's a bunch of money on a tank! My new 55 gallon I got used for very little money which is why I got it. I haven't painted it yet (the weather isn't cooperating) so I could turn it into a refugium if I could find something taller! Horses like to crawl around on rocks and in grass so length and width isn't as important as the height. Horses need the height to do their mating dance and for the female to transfer her eggs to the male's pouch without spilling. I'm so tempted to get this thing.

thanks for your advice, you gave me things to think about.

Catherine

glad i could help...

i didnt know any of that about the seahorses... hmm makes me rethink my ideas of having one off to the side of my main tank...

Height and temperatures vary with the breed of your horses. I'm yielding to Pete Giwojna who provides Ocean Rider Tech Support. He suggests a minimum height of 20" for the erectus but says the taller the better. Horses can also get GBS, gas bubble disease if you don't give them a tall enough tank so I would LOVE to work out something a bit taller! Is it hard to build a tank?

Catherine

Catherine,I gave less than that for my 125 reef ready with stand and plumbing kit.That 75 is only 3" taller than my tank,but the 125 is 2 ft longer and 3" wider,Not to mention another 50 gallons of water.

Catherine,I gave less than that for my 125 reef ready with stand and plumbing kit.That 75 is only 3" taller than my tank,but the 125 is 2 ft longer and 3" wider,Not to mention another 50 gallons of water.

I know, right? Just for 3"? But those are really important inches! I hate having the absolute minimum requirement for my horse type. Is it difficult to make your own tank?

Catherine

I dont think it would be that hard to build a tank.Especially if you went one that was plywood on the sides and back with a glass front.

If you put plywood on the back and sides, won't the water leach out? :)

Seriously, I'll start the research. I do stained glass but a whole aquarium is probably beyond me.

Thanks, Yote,
Catherine

You would have to then coat the plywood with an epoxy paint that is water proof. Cheaper and possible easier to build than an all glass tank.

Never built one just seen website describing it.

Catherine, I'm like you I'd get one of those ready to go tanks too! Just the way I am. It's easy and proven. No Hassles. More money, Yes! But lots of benefits.

I submitted my tank size to Pete Giwojna. Pete has an unbelievable wealth of knowledge about horses (I suspect he was a seahorse in a past life because he knows way too much about them!) Pete is suggesting that my new 55 gallon will meet the minimum requirements for the type of horses I want to keep and that I should spend my money on a good filtration system. I really don't feel up to the task of building an aquarium so that thought makes me happy! I'm now going to master my plumbing ignorance and design a kick-butt filtration system! YEAH! I'm going to start by reading every build thread I can, any other suggestions???

Thanks!

Catherine

If you put plywood on the back and sides, won't the water leach out? :)

Seriously, I'll start the research. I do stained glass but a whole aquarium is probably beyond me.

Thanks, Yote,
Catherine

If you can cut those small pieces of glass you can cut the big straight lines. You'd need about 1/2" glass or 1/4" acrylic. You may want to

Your base is 48" x 15". Two sides 14" x 24", and front and back at 48" x 24". Everything sits on the base which is the way I make them. Tape the pieces together with duct tape and silicone. (Make sure they are square when you place them) Wait over 48 hours and fill it little by little with water to check for leaks. I let mine sit for a couple of days before I empty it just to make sure it's not going to blow up. You may want to silicone a support brace in the middle to keep it from bowing too much. 14" x 3" would be good. Hope this helps.

Barry

Catherine, did you order it?

Nope, I think I'm going to build my tank. I found a DIY plan for a little 12 gallon that I'm going to make today if I can find some aquarium grade silicone. If that goes well, I'm going to try the "upside down" tank. Meanwhile, I'm working on a plan for building a bigger tank, the same footprint as a 55 gallon but with 4 inches added to the top, and a sump/refugium. I guess the artist in me won't let me use someone else's design!

Catherine

Back