Low Alk. High pH - NEED HELP

texreefer

Battle Dwarf
My Alk is hovering around 6 - 6.5 dKH while my pH will not drop below 8.4 . During the day when the lights are on I am getting pH readings around 8.6 - 8.7 . I would like to raise my Alk to proper levels , but anything I add immediately sends the pH climbing .

I have tried brightwell aquatics reef code B , and BRS soda ash with the same result. I was under the impression that soda ash would help lower the pH. Is that not correct ?

Any help would be great.

Current levels

cal - 460
dKH - 6.48
Mg - 1480 (always reads super high)

My Calcium & Magnesium are that high from doing water changes alone, so I'm not sure how to go about lowering it. My pH is being measured by my controller , but the probe is a little old , so I ordered a new one tonight along with a Milwaukee pH pen, to have another way to measure and compare.

I do agree that it is more of a pH problem than an alk problem , I'm just trying to figure out a way to fix both. I've never had pH issues so its getting the best of me.

I have found out that 2 cups of baking soda mixed in 1g of ro/di will help lower pH while raising alk , but I would like to know why it is high in the first place - or if it really is as high as the probe is reading.

I will report back once I have my new equipment.

pH probe was all kinds of messed up.

reading from probe was @ 8.68 , when 3 other probes, test pens, test kits all came out to be right around 8 (actual readings = 7.8-8.1).

Alk is still a bit low , but dosing has been dialed up just a bit to help get it in line, also replaced the probe

Back