Low Alk well not really

phastroh

Do Not Listen To Me!!!
My Alk is always low. I have to dose 2LF Alk like 2-3 times a week to keep it over the 8dKh range.

My calcium is always off the chart though with just water changes. It is basically 450 or higher just from that.

I honestly have almost not even checked the Ammonia or the Nitrite in like a month. Not saying anyone should do that but I was sick of checking because it is always 0 as well as my Nitrates.

Here is a little story of how this came to be.

I used to check every weekend, everything in the tank. Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate, PH, Alk, Mag, Phosphate and Salinity. As time went on I began to have more corals than fish and added a Carbon Reactor and a great Skimmer oh and an Auto Top Off(very helpful)

So after all that my water started being perfect consistently. No Nitrates was the last thing to fall in place but I always had high Calcium and high Magnesium all day, every day all the time but my Alk was always in the ditch at 7.2-7.4. I want it no less than 8.5 and really want it at 9.0-9.5.

I noticed my PH was always lagging at 7.6-7.8 until I raised the Alk and it went up with it to 8.2 Woot Toot!!

While these numbers are acceptable by most I feel like it is a slippery slope that is easy to slide down when you are this close to the edge of good numbers.

So I started using the 2 Little Fishes C-Balance. Of course I only need the 1 part. I actually have the Calcium part I used 1 time until I realized I only needed the one.

I dose the maximum dose every 2-3 days. While it may raise the Alk a little faster than it is recommended I worked my way up to that through many little doses over time during a month or so.

This has raised my Alk to where I want it at 9dKH but if I wait more than 2-3 days it flies down. Scratches head...I guess it is just this tanks way to stay.

Recently after my water change on the 26th I did not dose my Alk and I checked it on December 1st and it was 151PPM or 8.4-8.5dKH. so that is like the first time it has sustained its amount in a long time. I do know however what it was the day after the change. It could have been 10dKH for all I know.

I am nearing the 1/2 way point in my 2 Little Fishes 1 Gal bottle and I was going to buy more but I also purchased a large box of Arm & Hammer Baking Soda for the same thing. I do find it easier to dump 1/2 cup of 2LF Alk in the sump but it is like $37 for a gallon.

I read you have to bake the baking soda on a sheet and I also read you just mix it straight into some tank water.

Who uses it and knows how to administer it correctly? I will have to find a dosing chart and start over again to see how much actually does what. Those charts are close but not perfect for everyone.

I've never tried the baking soda method, but I hear several people have tried it work good results. I've read that calcium and alkalinity has to be balanced, and since your calcium is kinda high, that may be the reason why your alk is always lower than you want it...unless you have a bunch of sps's depleting the alk at a fast rate. I also have higher calcium readings (like 480), and have to dose 1/4 teaspoon of seachem alk builder on a daily basis, just to keep my alk around 9.5, probably because I have approx 10 sps corals, and 12 lps corals constantly growing.

Hey that is where I was reading before.

I was also poking around about Calcium to Alkalinity measurements and while my Calcium was at 480PPM before it is mostly in the 430-440 range so sorry for not posting that part.

Just chaginging the water every other week keeps the Calcium at that level but from what I have read that is ok and I can't see how it is keeping the Alkalinity so low, although it may still be the culprit.

With that said I can't think of anything I can do about it really.

My only SPS are a 4inch round Acro a 2 inch round Acros and my Pocillopora which is about 3.5" inches around.

I have one 4-5 inch clam, an Aussie Worm Brain, and a Torch. Not sure if any others would be hogging anything.

This issue has been going on since before the Acros and Pocillopora arrived. I know or I think D2Mini said his tank just has low Alk so he doses for it.

I am shocked it is at 151PPM this long after a water change so maybe the tides are turning. Maybe the Smartwave is helping in some way but I doubt a wave maker can do that.

Last edited:
Yeah I did. I was asking because there are a few different ways I found on-line and was seeing if anyone uses it.

Thanks for the link because now I have it saved.

Have you ever used it?

I think he was also looking into insight as to why his alk is so low....

I'm in almost the same exact boat Phastroh, but I dose using 2 Part from Bulk Reef Supply

Back