Low Dkh/Alk

fastrd400

It wasn't me!
I have friend that can not get his Dkh up using a buffer. Are there any other alternatives or ways to attempt to bring it up? I've never had this issue and I have no answer for him. Any help is appreciated.

if the buffers don't work, baking soda isn't real likely to either, since that's what is in the buffers (along with other stuff)...
has your friend checked mag and cal? how low is the alk?

I have no idea. He is kind of a free spirit and is doing all this flying by the seat of his pants, even though I keep telling him to check Mag and Cal at the same time.

I looked into some things, and no matter what his alk will not go up. He does not test for Mag so he will today after 30 minutes of me pestering him. My initial feeling is that the Mag is low and not allowing the Alk to come up to an acceptable level.

I tested his water with my Sailfert test kits. My Mag test reads 1200, his Red Sea Mag test kits reads below 4. The LFS tested his Kh at 5, mine (Sailfert) tested at 10. I know my test kits are maybe only 3 months old tops.

I just figured out I was reading the Red Sea one wrong. What a waste of brain cells by whom ever wrote the freafing instructions.

Back