Low PH from dosing epsom salt ~ safest way to fix it?

Solarfall

Totally Gnar
I started dosing epsom salt because I did a magnesium test for the first time in a month or so and it was down to around 1200. I also just started kalk dripping around the same time.
Epsom salt (Magnesium sulfate) has a natural PH of around 6.0, and apparently tends to lower your ph, I thought the kalkwasser would negate that but I did a test today and my ph is down to 7.9. My alk and calcium is very low too I assume because I've been experimenting with the kalkwasser to see how much dosing I need to do. I need more -_-

Here's what I was going to do:

- 15 gal water change (70 gal total tank volume)
- Dose some baked baking soda to try to stabalize ph/alk
- Slow down on Epsom salt dosing
- Make a chart on my PH/Alkalinity/Calcium/Magnesium readings which I'll measure every few days until I figure out what works as far as dosing. (Should have done this to begin with as soon as I replaced B-Ionic with kalkwasser)

Sound like a plan?

Ah, nevermind I misread something on 2 different websites related to growing plants and on the wikipedia.

I just realized I did the ph test when the lights weren't on yet. They should come on in a few minutes so I'll see what the ph is then. But even if that were the problem, isn't 7.9 way too much of a swing from the 8.3 - 8.4 that I usually read?

no that is not that bad. the lowest your ph will be is right when the lights first turn on and it will be at it's higest right when the lights go out. my low is 8.0 and my high is 8.5

Back