Lps corals covered in bugs!! Please help!!

beeguiles

they call me fish geek ;p
A few weeks ago I posted about my frogspawn not extending bc there were little white bugs all over it. Well I dipped it in coral rx and it didn't help at all. Well now it has spread to my other frogspawn and my brain coral hasn't been puffing up like it usually does. I can see the little white bugs crawling all over the tank. The whole tank needs to be treated but idk what to treat with or what these bugs are... I have to do something soon bc I have a feeling if I don't the corals won't make it. Please help :( thanks

Here are some pics

1d1d5f7e.jpg

2fed82a3.jpg

170e9b40.jpg

2011497e.jpg

090f9755.jpg

Please disregard the red slime. I am currently working on that also. I did see that thread on reef central but not really wanting to get a prescription drug from the vet. As for the fish I am at my stocking limit. Four fish in a ten gallon is pretty full and I can get away with it bc I pay attention to my tank allllll the time lol but I don't think I can add another fish. Any ideas after you see the pics??

i dont have any ideas i have never had to deal with these little critters at all. but from your pics and what was posted on that thread i think they are the same thing

Yer not ganna want to hear this, but I started noticing little spots like that on a Frogspawn frag I bought at a coral swap. After weeks of spot feeding it, it never opened and looked worse and worse. I ended up pitching it worried that what ever was wrong with it might spread.

This was before I knew about the iodine solutions you can soak frags in. I would have tried that a few times before pitching it had I known about such a thing. Since then I've picked some up and soaked all of my frags for at least 15 minutes.

I would suggest soaking all corals you can every few days and see if it helps. The stuff I use is by Seachem, called Reef Dip Coral Disinfectant. It will kill inverts like pods and, hopefully those bugs.

Last edited:
Ahh you're right I didn't want to hear that lol the frogspawns are epoxyed in place and I almost ruined my rock scape last time I yanked them off and I cracked the skeleton in four places. This is turning out to be a nightmare. And costing me a lot of money also. Kid at the lfs sold me the wrong dip! Guess I'm heading to my other lfs in the near future. This tank is giving me quite the headache lately. Cloudy water if I don't run carbon, red slime galore and now All corals have to be dipped. This just isn't my week. Sorry if I sound like a grump but I guess I just need to vent. At least the 29g is doing well.

No I'm not. I know a lot of you guys do but I have had success with using tap with my 29g so I figure it will be fine for my 10g. Just needs carbon. Prolly gets cloudy bc I feed too much. Trying to cut down on that

I would definitely recommend using RO water. It takes a lot of random water variables out of the equation if you run into issues. You usually can get it pretty cheap at stores that sell purified water. I know the Meijer by me sells it for like $.37/gal if you have your own container.

At the very least, I'd use a Pure filter on the tap water. ;)

Yeah, sounds like your definitely at your limit, and it sounds like from the RC thread someone tried a wrasse and it didn't help with these particular bugs... I read through that thread and it sounds like someone had success with a fresh water dip. Not sure you want to go that route or not. I think I'd just dip in coral rx every few days. When my monti had nudibranchs I practically killed it by trying to put it in a hospital tank and considered doing a radical tx that I'd heard others had tried. In the end I would have been far better off just dipping it every few days since the hatching cycle for the eggs was so short. If you aren't able to save it, I would keep euphyllia's out of your tank for a few months just so that the bugs die off.... hopefully they don't move on to your other corals :(

I hope they don't they don't either but I can see them crawling all over the tank and I have a $90 brain and a $80 plate coral in there. That's the reason why I want them gone so bad. Idk about the freshwater dip. I would be afraid of killing it. I think I'm going to go out and get that lugols dip and see if that works. But even if I do dip them all, I can see th bugs crawling in the rocks so they will still be in the tank and get on the corals again..... Is there anything I can treat the whole tank with?

I hope they don't they don't either but I can see them crawling all over the tank and I have a $90 brain and a $80 plate coral in there. That's the reason why I want them gone so bad. Idk about the freshwater dip. I would be afraid of killing it. I think I'm going to go out and get that lugols dip and see if that works. But even if I do dip them all, I can see th bugs crawling in the rocks so they will still be in the tank and get on the corals again..... Is there anything I can treat the whole tank with?

Probably not, as anything that is designed to kill the bad critters will also kill the good critters, you'd be better off setting up a rubbermaid, moving the corals to it, and treating them in there, while allowing the DT to be without coral for several weeks to kill off the population of bugs in the tank

Its the same reason that 'reef safe' ich treatments dont work - if it can kill ich, it can kill beneficial things in the reef tank as well

From that thread, it seems as though using Interceptor was the only treatment that worked, and Interceptor was effective. So my question is, why don't you want to use that? You will sacrifice everything in your tank because you "don't want to get a medication from your vet"? Why not? It's very easy to treat a tank using Interceptor -- it's a treatment that many reef keepers have had to use. Good luck with other methods, I'm just confused as to why you don't want to use the one thing that has been proven to work.

You know what biff you're right. I guess I was just nervous about using medication that's not for aquariums. Looks like I'll be calling the vet today and hopefully they will give it to me.

Hey there. I wouldn't even think about using tap in my tank. What's your tda up there in Syracuse? Here in NYC it's over 70ppm.

Okay so I just got off the phone with my vet and she said that they haven't been getting the interceptor in...but she said she would try to find out of any other heartworm medication has the same main ingred. I am going to do my own research as well to try and find something. The ingred is milbemycin oxime in case any of you know of anything. This seems to be the only way to treat my tank.

Back