LR sprouted an Anenome?

wolfsbettas

Reefing newb
I didn't know this was possible but last night I found what looks like an anenome UNDER a ridge in my liverock. The tank is just a 12 gallon eclipse that I rescued from a friend...I descided invert tank but I heard that Anenomes can kill a few things in the tank. I don't mind him being there...but he isn't getting much light.. I am not even sure what kind it is... The tentalces are a clear opaque color about the diameter of a stir straw...He is about the size of a silver dollar that I can see. And his tentacles have dark almost black tips.. It really creeped my mother out seeing him last night she thought it was more worms. I picked up some food for him, and got tips on feeding him. Is there any advise on what else to do for him? There isnt that much light where he is at but obviously he likes it there. Wish I could get pics of him but where he is at I cant because of the angle. Shaz

Check out this page to see if you can ID it:

Melev's Reef - Visual Identification

Some anemones are BAD and you don't want to feed them, in fact you'll want to kill them ASAP, because they are considered pests. First thing is to figure out what kind of anemone you have...

Anemones will often position themselves in crevices or cracks and they will move if they don't like the conditions where they're at, so I wouldn't worry about it not getting enough light.

Sounds to me like either Aiptasia or Mojano(sp?).
If it is either one,they can bad,or they can be good.Some people like them,others dont.But most of us here on the reef would pull it out.

I have one mojano in my tank... now.... I killed all but one with aphasia control. The one I have in there is the size of a dime and I'm just curious as to how it will develop.

icantseethepics.jpg

This is about as good as they are going to get, and they are still blurry. The tank has a bowfront and after 104 pictures of hte dang thing I got two semi clear ones. It acctually looks like a weird tube worm of some sort but it is cool looking. I read if it is an anenome and I feed it it will close up to eat? Shaz

anenome.jpg

anenome2.jpg

The second picture is the tips of his tentacles and no it is not an octapus..

thing is every picture i have seen of an aiptasia they have stringy looking tentacles without small bulbs on the tips. This has nice rounded looking tentacles that dont end in points but rather rounded. I will see if I can get a better pi of the bugger. *off to get 100 more pics* Shaz

Back