ltkenbo's 55 Gallon Rebuild

ltkenbo

Reefing newb
So I have decided to break down my 55 gallon and rebuild it. So here's the short story:

I started the tank around October of last year. This last March I upgraded my lights to T5 Nova extremes and upon doing so I experienced terrible outbreaks of dinoflagalates. Though they were a non toxic variety they have almost consumed the tank. I tried water changes, removed all my sand, got more powerheads for even better flow then I already have, kalk drips to raise pH, blackouts and though this helped, the dino's inevitably returned. The original tank build can be seen here: https://www.livingreefs.com/ltkenbos-55-gallon-reef-tank-t22448.html

DSC07077.jpg

I am also moving into another room in my house so I thought this would be a good way to move the tank also. The room I am building into has 2 closets, one which I will use as a sump room and put the tank against the outside wall.

DSC07074.jpg

DSC07073.jpg

Since I am starting the tank over this time I am installing a permanent overflow (rather than the HOB I have now) from glass-holes.com, along with 2 returns and a 3 more bulkheads for a possible future closed loop system.

As far as the live rock I have now goes, I am not going to throw it out but I will not be using it for this next build due to any chances of excess phosphates or dinoflagalates spores that could restart the problem. I am planning on making a custom structure out of concrete or something. This will also allow much better flow in the aquarium especially since being a 55 it doesn't have much depth.

Now I am still going to be using my same livestock lol, which includes the following:

2 False Percula Clowns
1 Coral Beauty
1 Blue Spotted Watchman Goby
1 Scopas Tang

Inverts:
Like 3 or 4 Turbo Snails
1 Big Red hermit crab
2 small red hermit crabs
4 blue legged hermit crabs
Like 50 small nass snails

Corals:
Hammer Coral
Frogspawn
Xenia
Two different types of brown Button Polyps (will probably frag these instead of reusing the rock)
Kenya Tree

So I purchased a used 20 gallon tall tank here in town and I will be using that along with a 10 gallon tank to temporarily house the livestock. The goby, tang, and dwarf angel, and inverts will go in the 20 gallon, and the two clownfish in the 10 gallon. I'm using two 2x36" sunlight supply T5 light fixtures that I used before the nova for the temporary tanks.

DSC07070.jpg

DSC07072.jpg

DSC07071.jpg

Here is a small diagram that I made for the new tank. The first picture shows the general connection of everything and the second photo shows the holes I will drill on the tank. The center top hole is the overflow and the others are 1/2" bulkheads for returns and or the CL system.

DSC07080.jpg

DSC07081.jpg

The equpment I will be using in the "new" tank will include the following (some of this I already have now):
-700 GPH glass-holes overflow box
-Mag Drive 7 Return Pump
-3 Koralia 2 Powerheads
-1 Penguin powerhead
-1 Vortech MP20 powerhead
-Refugium (probably 10 gallons)
-Sump (Probably 20 Gallons using a big tupperware or trough or something)
-Current Nova Extreme Pro 6x48" light fixture
-Bulk Reef Supply Dual Carbon/GFO Reactor
-Probably one of those algae scrubbers posted on this forum
-Custom Live Rock Structure
-Nature's Ocean Australian Gold Sand (Natures Ocean® Australian Gold Sand #0)
-Auto-Topoff system
-Cora-Life 65 Protein Skimmer
-Heater (I forget how many watts)

Like I said I have most of this stuff now (powerheads and reactor and stuff) but just thought I would make a list so you can put it all together.

Let me know what you think! The glass-holes should be here tomorrow or friday.

Yeah definately. Oh and btw, does anyone have any good links to tutorials (with pictures) on making your own live rock, or making your own custom live rock/reef structure?

Goodies arrived today!

Overflow box

2 1/2" return kits

4 1/2" bulkheads (for CL system and refugium water exit)

2 bulkhead strainers

Drill bits for all of this

DSC07082.jpg

DSC07083.jpg

DSC07084.jpg

DSC07085.jpg

Lol and yes that is fun dip, it actually came in the package lol.

DSC07086.jpg

OMG this box is really nice they use really thick acrylic, it's so much better than the stupid eschops one.

DSC07088.jpg

DSC07089.jpg

DSC07090.jpg

Why don't you re-use your old rocks? I would just boil them pretty good and then let them air dry completely. That will kill any dinos and nuisance algae on there.

Gotta love new toys.:D

And Smitty's right.Dont throw that rock away.
You can place in a rubbermaid with some saltwater and powerhead,then black it out.Just change the water in the tote every few day.No light will also kill all the dinos and algae.

Well I wasn't going to throw it away, I was just going to not use it (at least not right away). I found a really good video on youtube about making live rock, it'll take a month or more to cure, but so will trying to cook the other rock. Some of the pieces are a little big anyways and I figured if I made custom pieces I could make some that would fit my aquarium better and not block flow so much.

However, so did you guys mean to literally "boil it" or to cook it like yote is saying? I am just worried that even if I do cook it, the dino's still might survive cause they can go dormant for many months and still survive, and that there are so many phosphates or whatever soaked into the rocks that it would be harmful to the new aquarium. I also read on another forum, a guy broke down his aquarium and used new rock after having a dino outbreak and the dino's did not return. He left his rock in the dark for almost a year, and then he put the rock back in the new aquarium and the dino's returned. I am open to suggestions though, so if I were to keep the rock, what should I do?

Boil it. Buy one of those giant soup pots at the store, put water in it, put it on the stove, and bring the water to a boil. Tie a shoelace around your rock, and put the rock in the boiling water for 20 minutes. Pull it out with the shoelace, and repeat with your next rock.

Which one is better boiling or bleaching or both? Can't boiling cause them to break or explode since they are very porous?

IMHO, boiling would be the way to go. The only way they could explode, would be if there was any traped air or water. For peace of mind, put them in the water before it comes to a boil, then raise the temp. Bleaching means you have to get ALL the bleach out before it goes into the tank:twocents:. Coffeebean

Well, my rocks have seen both...the bleach kills everything on contact, the boiling may not. If you bleach them, use prime or some type of de-chlorine and plenty of water changes to remove the chlorine from the rock.

Back