lurker finally joining

I have an eheim heater so I figured it would be pretty accurate. I guess not. This is all I have done with my tank so far. I added water (using API Tap Water filter) about 3/4 of my tank. I put in eheim heater set to 77. I put in my Hydor Koralia 3 on the right side of tank. Next I put in Oceanic salt mix to the hydrometer reading of about 1.022. I stirred manually and by pouring in front of powerhead to mix. Water was clear for about 2-3 days and then became cloudy and salt went to bottom of tank, sides, and on heater and thermometer. After consulting you guys I have turned on my eheim 2213 canister filter and mixed again the salt on bottom and sides. The water seems to be much better but is showing a lot of micro bubbles from the filter and it looks to me like I can see some salt mixing through the water. There is also still some signs of salt on the bottom of the tank and appliances, but much better than before. The filter has been running for about a full day now.

I am not familiar with what saltwater should look like. Should it look the same as my freshwater tank? Do you think the lack of air to the water is the cause of the humidity build up in my tank and maybe causing the salt to clump and stay on the bottom?

Nobody has yet to say anything about the air factor. I only say this because it seemed like when I had my hood up that the salt was much easier to come off the glass than when I initially opened it. Right now there are large gobs of water on top of the inside glass hood and a lot of condensation on the inside glass not covered in water. Should a tank have more cut outs on the plastic where electronics go to help rid of this condensation?

I wish I had a camera that I could take a picture. It is however much better than the other day when I hadn't had the filter running. There is just a slight amount of salt dusting on the bottom.

I got my rocks in. They actually came on Friday morning although I paid 25 extra bucks for a Saturday delivery. I think everything turned out pretty well. Out of my Lalo rock there was one huge piece about 16x12 or so. It is an awesome piece but of corse was difficult to find a spot for without it looking too out of place. There is a huge tennis ball sized cave in it. Unfortunately, the other side had nicer color patterns like some pink and reds. I added my fiji pink live sand and it is looking real sharp right now. I don't know how I am gonna wait a month before getting inverts and fish.

I found out I think that the reason for my white saltlike substance on the bottom of my tank and on equipment may in fact be because Oceanic Sea Salt has one of the highest levels of Calcium out of the sea salts and this can cause the white stuff. Is there a way to lower this amount. Can it be harmful?

Oceanic does have good calcium levels but not high enough to cause precipitation.Using too much salt and not enough water when mixing can though.In the future use less amount then mix thoroughly.Add a little more and mix again til you get the correct salinity.Get a calcium test kit if you don't have one an see what it reads.Regular saltwater change will lower the salt level.Maybe use Instant Ocean salt mix since its usually always lower in calcium.Of course this is assuming your calcium is through the roof.I.m not sure if it would be harmful.Anyway you can remove the deposits?I would go ahead and test akalinity,calcium and pH then go from there.

I didn't think the calcium was causing precipitation. I thought it was causing the white chalk like substance that was on the bottom and sides of the tank. It is much better now, but there is still some in tiny spots on the back wall. I usually just brush it off.

Thats not exactly what I meant.Too much salt and too little water when mixing cause akalinity to be sky high which causes calcium to precipitate.Thats maybe why you have the deposits.I doubt if it bad salt mix but anything is possible.

hmm interesting. However my salinity is at 1.021 right now and I am trying to get it higher. I keep adding a cup of the salt and it really isn't going up much. I am wondering how accurate this Red Sea Hydrometer is. I should prob get a refractometer, but I have spent so much so far that I am a little hesitant.

Even if dont invest in a refractometer right now,Take your hydrometer to your LFS along with a water sample.You need to know exactly where its reading,and their not known to be very accurate to begin with.

Back