macro algae woes

marcah

Reef enthusiast
Went and got some chaeto algae from my local lfs.. Just recently ( about 5 mos ago)
set up a seperate refugium and sump.. Each tank is 20 gal with refugium running into the sump at a rate of about 40 gph.. Was told by him I didnt need water movement in the fuge but forums I have read said I should.. I since have lost the macro and put 250 gph movement in.. Needless to say I need to get new chaeto now :frustrat: Which is correct?

i dont think lack of water movement would kill chaeto it just helps to evenly distribute light and keep junk out of it. what light are you useing and for how long?

Macro algae does like water movement. But if you want to buy more macro pm Bifferwine about about it, she sells cheato which is probably the best macro for a fuge.

Also, what did you have for lighting over it?

I Hvae a marineland led strip running on off cycles with the main tank..
I have the light about 8 inches above the tank now due to some cyano outbreak I had..
I have thought that that may have caused some of the problem.. raising the light stopped the cyano outbreak I had..

I would replace that with one of the CFL sqiggly bulb. From another thread that was experimenting with growing algae under LED lights, it never worked well.

it seems the only algae I am having trouble with in there was the macro..what about a strip light? have a few of them from other tanks laying around.. and thank you..

Last edited:
I have the CFL squiggly bulb over my cheato and its almost freakin dead after only a few weeks SIGH I dont know what the problem is

i took a few quick pics of my setup its just a chamber in my homebuild sump with a clip on light and a 23w cfl bulb that cost me about $10 for the light and there is a nano powerhead in there hope this helps there not the best pics :P the light is on reverse to my tanks light so its on for 14 hours

IMG_0502.jpg

IMG_0503.jpg

IMG_0504.jpg

Last edited:
Back