Macro Algae

Discussion in 'New to Reefing' started by cthegame, Jan 29, 2008.

1. cthegame

cthegame

I have hadthe same size "ball" of Macro Algae for the while now. It has not grown much from when i first got it. The first month i saw some growth but after that, its just remained the same size. It looks healthy and all, just isnt growing. What i have now is not enough to be much use as filtration. Its too small to filter an 80 gallon tank w/sump and i would really like to have more of this stuff which was kind of hard for me to find.

I have it under 30 watts of light. Is there a reason for why it stopped growing? Is there anything i can do to make it grow faster? They thrive on excess nutrition more so than light - is that correct? Or should i increase my light?

Thanks in advance!

cthegame, Jan 29, 2008
    1. Advertisements

2. cthegame

Oscarsdad608

After I switch to a halagen flood light bulb it has grown like crazy. I read this on melevs reef. Just look for 2500k

Oscarsdad608, Jan 29, 2008
    1. Advertisements

3. cthegame

yote Ceritfied Mantis Hunter Moderator

Could be not enough light.
    Could also be that you dont have enough nutrients in the water.Which would be a very good thing.

yote, Jan 29, 2008
  4. cthegame

down and outman

Light makes all the diff! I had the same prob. Mine almost withered away to nothing in my sump under a CF. Tied it to a return in my display under my T-5's and it took off. I just harvested a bunch and sold it, $15 a quart free shipping Priority mail and all were happy to get it. As fast as it's growing, in a month or so I'll do it again. I'll eventually build a refugium, but for now it works!

down and outman, Jan 29, 2008
  5. cthegame

reeffreak

I'm assuming ''ball of macroalgae'' is chaeto.They don't need much light and it grows under any kelvin rating although 3000k -6700k I hear people recommend the most.Maybe you don't have the nutrients for growth or lacking in some trace elements.I hear Iron supplement maybe beneficial for macroalgae.

reeffreak, Jan 30, 2008
  6. cthegame

cthegame

Yes it's chaeto. Well i dont know about my nutients...I do have alot of other algae growing like crazy including coraline. Just not the darn chaeto. I guess it could be the light. Ill get a new bulb since its a little old and try to put another strip of light and increase it to 60 watts. More spending for every little issue...:frustrat: Damn you chaeto, damn you!

Last edited: Jan 30, 2008
    cthegame, Jan 30, 2008
  7. cthegame

down and outman

My Nitrates are zero, plus I run a phosban reactor. I do believe it's lights and flow. Like any plant, it need light to grow.

down and outman, Jan 30, 2008
  8. cthegame

fishbait I found Nemo

it's probaly the lights. I had around 20 watts of n.o. flourescent light on mine for the first month or two. there was no growth whatsoever. I switched to a one of those 90 watt flood light bulbs from lowe's with the compact flourescent bulb in it. then it overgrew my sump in two or three weeks!

fishbait, Jan 30, 2008
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question