Macro Lense anyone?

Tanner

Tanerious Swimeroundus
So how many of you guys want Dennis worthy photos?

Well I cant tell you how to do that, seeing as he possesses skills I will never have, but I can show you how to make a macro lense :)

So first, grab up a cheap pair of binoculars, these ones here ran me 8 bucks

biuinos.jpg

Then, carefully(or not, your choice) remove the lense from the opposite of the viewing side.As you can see in the last pic, I already did that.

lens.jpg

The next step is to mount that sucker on your camera, I used painters tape, but I STRONGLY recommend you make a mount for it instead of taping it directly on.
In my case, I have a UV filter on, and I have a bunch so if some residue gets on that its ok.

cam.jpg

It doesnt work the greatest, but if you dont really have 400 bucks on you to spend on a lens, it gets you by, lol.

:^:

This is a great solution but for you non-diy'ers you can get a fixed macro for most DSLR cameras for about 20.00.

Catherine

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Digital-Concepts-Close-Up-Macro-Filter/dp/B001AO2274/ref=sr_1_17?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1264463204&sr=8-17]Amazon.com: Digital Concepts +1 +2 +4 +10 Close-Up Macro Filter Set with Pouch (58mm): Electronics[/ame]

These are fixed macro lenses. To get a real macro it's 400-600 easy. Fixed macro's will give you a set focal length and they are clumsy to use but they totally get the job done on a budget.

Yours is a more creative alternative. Not stupid at all!

Catherine

So you don't need a separate Macro lens for the camera, you just screw one of those on? I was looking at Nikon D-700 cameras at $2600. and the Macro lenses were another $2000. That's a lot of dow!

It is best to get a real macro lens. Fixed lens macros are clumsy and they only have one "sweet" spot. What I'm saying is if you've got a choice between breaking apart a pair of binoculars or getting a fixed macro, then I would get the fixed macro. David, before I spent a fortune on a camera I would LEARN how to use that camera. You could put a crappy old polaroid into Dennis' hands and he would still take amazing photographs. To take great photos you need to know your way around a camera.

C

So you don't need a separate Macro lens for the camera, you just screw one of those on? I was looking at Nikon D-700 cameras at $2600. and the Macro lenses were another $2000. That's a lot of dow!

Say wha?!?! You must have been looking at a tilt-shift lens.

I use the Tamron 90mm 1:1 macro.
Tamron | SP AF90mm f/2.8 Di 1:1 Macro Lens | AF272NII-700 | B&H

And honestly, you do not need the D700. Unless you feel like you really need a full frame camera. If you are ok with a cropped sensor (which will make your zooms reach even farther) get the D300.

Even thought the product description does not list the d80 it should fit no problem right? I was looking into getting a 105 mm macro but it was alomst 2x the price of the tamron. is there a huge dfference in your opinion? I know when i bought my f1.8 i saved like 200 dollars because I did not spend the extra for the f1.6, realistically for me i didnt see the need for that .2

The D80 is a cropped sensor camera so technically the 90mm will be around 120mm on your D80. ;)

I use both the nikon 60mm macro and the tamron 90mm macro and I prefer the tamron and would never recommend the nikon over it. But i have not used the 105mm from nikon. It's probably a great lens, but I don't know that it's worth twice the price for casual use.

Thanks Catherine. I'm ready to buy. Dennis do you believe this would be better than the D-300 as well? If so then I'm jumping in.

Catherine I see it's a body only. Could you help me with lenses for it. I guess I need a regular/everyday lens (?) and a Macro lens, right.

LOL!

I use nikon so that's what I know. A newb would be good with either brand, i just happen to like the controls, button layout and feel of nikon and I like the nikon lens lineup. I usually suggest you go to the store and handle both. Nikon's closest competitor would be the D300s i believe, but like Catherine said for a little bit extra you get more megapixels and maybe better high iso performance. Both are cropped sensors. I'm not so sure about needing more than 12mp in a cropped sensor or if it's even beneficial at all, but I've never used one. I was shooting with 6mp a couple years ago.

Either would be a fine choice IMHO.

excuse me while i go throw up now. :mrgreen:

I usually keep a UV filter on my camera at all times. For 40.00 you keep your lens protected and it helps keep the haze out of your shots.

Are you asking about macro's? I have only used the Canon lenses so I can't tell you. Dennis has put his hands on more equipment than I have. Remember, I come from being an artist and a teacher; we have to beg borrow and steal to get equipment! I think you should try to hold each one and compare how they feel in your hands and look at your budget. If you are mostly posting on the internet your mpgs won't matter that much anyway.

Catherine

Back