Macro Lense anyone?

I have been seriously considering the D700...

I have a 67 Chevelle who someone is offering to buy and its more then enough to pay for it.... I don't know it was my first car and I am really really attached....

BUT!!! I have a degree in photography and really don't like my career path...Its just 5 years of no practices and never wanting a digital camera really, now coming to realize I wish I had stuck with it out of school.

I am for sure NIKON all the way I have had one since I was young. I have not played with higher end Cannons however, the lower end ones don't hold up compared to Nikon IMO. When I was in school a few people had Cannons and the wear and tear is why I steered away from Cannons. During college me and my (film) NIKON F100 camera have been through a lot WTO riots in Seattle, Police shooting in Boston it goes on, never had one problem. My friend with a Cannon had weird things that you wouldn't think would break break, buttons pop off built in flash was weird... Just over all it was like going from a PC to a MAC it was just better...

Rant aside here is what you should take a look at if you haven't already. Pixels are not everything!!! D700 less pixels better sensor? Dennis is right, the D300 is far more comparable to the Cannon you are looking at.

however if you want a straight comparison

NIKON D700 & D300 Compared to Cannon EOS 7D

D300 12.3 Megapixel DX-format CMOS Image Sensor
D700 12.1 Megapixel Resolution FX-format CMOS Sensor THIS IS WHY THE CAMERA COST SO MUCH and worth it IMO!

I've never had a Canon break or go goofy and my ape-handed high school students used it and they were a clumsy lot of humans. I agree about the sensor, Nikon has the Canon beat hands-down. I've got Canon's and I like them. I know hard-core Canon users and hard-core Nikon users and they both swear their camera is the best. Try to find each camera and fiddle with them. Nikon's are great, great cameras! You're looking at two great cameras I don't think you'll make a bad decision.

Catherine

The D700 is less megapixels but it's a full sized 35mm sensor camera. The APC sized sensor is 30% smaller. And then canon is stuffing 5 more megapixels into it. There's a line there somewhere (i'm not sure where it is) that if you cross it, you are not doing yourself any favors by adding more megapixels. The megapixel war is driven by uneducated consumers, not the camera companies.

David, you have to think of it like this. I know you are like me. You want to buy the best you can afford. But you need to ask yourself if you really need the best, or can you save yourself some cash. The reason I was suggesting the D300 instead of the D700 is because the 700 has features that you are not really going to benefit from. Faster frame rates, more customization, full frame sensor (how big do you really need to print your images? Billboard size?) For a prosumer, I would say get the D700. For a hobbyist or anyone just starting, I think the D300s is plenty good and will still do more than you will probably need for a long time. Save the money on the body and get a couple NICE lenses. Bodies will come and go, but the glass you will keep forever.
An AWESOME combo would be the D300 with the 24-70mm lens plus the Tamron 90mm macro or the Nikon 105mm macro. The 24-70 would be a nice walkaround lens. It's one of the very best lenses nikon makes and it will work well if you later want to upgrade to a full frame camera. On the D300 it would be more like a 35-100mm lens so you lose a little on the wide end but gain on the long end. Or get the Nikon 17-55 DX lens. This will give you more like a 26-82mm range, so you get some of your wide end back. Still a really good lens. But DX lenses don't play well with full frame bodies so if you upgrade in the future you will need to replace that lens. Something to keep in mind with cropped sensors. Not sure if Canon has DX equivalent lenses or not.

Catherine also has a very good point. Think about what you are going to be shooting and what you want to do with these shots. If most of your pics are going to be for posting in the interwebs, this is another good reason to save some moo-la. A higher priced camera might have a little more detail or less noise, but it's not going to make anyone a better photographer. I have shots from my Nikon D70 (6mp/cropped sensor) that I could put next to shots from my D700 and you wouldn't know which was which.

David, you have to think of it like this. I know you are like me. You want to buy the best you can afford. But you need to ask yourself if you really need the best, or can you save yourself some cash

This is my point in all this, exactly. Dennis, you hit the nail on the head. I have seen so many people drop a fortune on equipment and then take crappy pictures with it. You need to spend money here but buying this awesome camera won't guarantee you will get good shots.

Good advice, Dennis.

C

This is my point in all this, exactly. Dennis, you hit the nail on the head. I have seen so many people drop a fortune on equipment and then take crappy pictures with it. You need to spend money here but buying this awesome camera won't guarantee you will get good shots.

Good advice, Dennis.

C

Okay I'm back to square one. :grumble:

David, quit jacking around and get a damn Nikon.

2010-01-26224752.jpg

The d90 replaced the d80. I got the d80 the same month the d90 came out. I could have returned it for the d90 but opted out for a lens instead! It was the better choice as far as I'm concerned.

This is a little off topic for all you camera pros. Is there a good place online that I can go to that will explain things for a complete noob? I read some of your things and just dont quite understand them. Maybe one with little tutorials or something? I have about 7 or 8 months to come up with some half way good photography skills:mrgreen:

This is a little off topic for all you camera pros. Is there a good place online that I can go to that will explain things for a complete noob? I read some of your things and just dont quite understand them. Maybe one with little tutorials or something? I have about 7 or 8 months to come up with some half way good photography skills:mrgreen:

Are you talking about the mechanics of the actual camera? If you go to the nikon or canon website they should have an explanation of the functions of the camera. Nikon has great little videos that explain their cameras and how they work. If you are talking about how to use the camera you should take my photography class!

Catherine

I am talking about how to take good pictures. I just have little point and shoot cameras but I know that there are good functions on there that I have no clue how to use. I usually keep it in auto and am frequently disappointed in the outcome. They seem to be set up for just portrait taking.

Back