Macroalgae in Fuge/Sump

Brianw1970

Reefing newb
I would like to build a Sump with 4 chambers. I bought a 65 gallon tank for $80 from a neighbor. It measures 36inL x 18inW x 24inH.

1st Chamber: 2 returns from DT
2nd Chamber: DSB, LR, and Caulerpa
3rd Chamber: Chaeto ball tumbling with the help of small powerhead.
Bubble Trap
4th Chamber: Return Pump to DT

Is there any ad/disadvantage to having two different chambers in my fuge with a DSB, LR and Caulerpa in one chamber and just a Chaeto ball tumbling in another chamber?

I will post the design later.

Usually you use one chamber for equipment, like heaters and skimmers. There's no disadvantage to separating the fuge into different chambers, but there's no point to it either. What is separating the fuge into two chambers trying to accomplish?

This might give you some ideas.

Some of the baffles may seam overkill in this design. Use your own judgment and design what works for you. After building only 1 sump in my life, I learned a lot about what NOT to do. I will probably install them on the next sump I make. Micro bubbles suck!

Attachments

• BrianW1970.jpg
    BrianW1970.jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 778
Last edited:
I forgot to mention that the skimmer will be in 1st chamber too and heater in last chamber with return pump. My point to the seperate chambers is to use the Caulerpa chamber for nutrient export since it grows so quickly and easily. I would use the Chaeto chamber for export also but i heard that pods grow faster in a Chaeto ball. Does this make sense?

I use 3 chambers. First chamber gets the drain from the tank and has a heater in it. Second chamber is a larger area that is lower flow and can grow macro algae with lighting. Last chamber holds the skimmer and the return pump skimmer discharges to the 2nd chamber. 1st and last chambers are actually pretty small while the mid chamber is the largest.

I'm not sure if you'll want the chaeto tumbling. Pieces can break off pretty easily, and just make it flow into other chambers or clog up your pumps/powerheads. Plus if it's tumbling, pods might not like it....I have just enough flow in my fuge to ripple the water, and the chaeto does not move around. Got lots of pods crawling all over the ball, walls, and substrate.

I forgot to add that I rotate my chaeto manually once a week or so (but admittedly, I've gone a whole month without rotating..hehehe....the chaeto is still alive!)

I forgot about needing to rotate it. That stuff is almost a weed though even without rotating it will grow into a big mat

Back