Macroalgae in tank?

leon1972

Reefing newb
I keep reading about macroalgae being in the tank and being beneficial and even growing it in my tank. How would I do this, why would I do this? Is it REALLY beneficial!!!

macro algae will eat up the nitrates and phosphates that are toxic to corals and discourage the growth of ugly micro algae.

So yes, its highly beneficial. Most people grow the macro algae in their fuge but there are some really pretty ones that people like to put in their main tank.

I keep seeing all these refrences to a fuge. Thats a seperate tank, usually smaller, from the main tank that gets cycled from the main tank correct?

yes, usually its hidden blow the tank and is a section in the sump, which can hold the fuge, skimmer and return section. The sump in general is a great place to hide equipment.

+1 fish....I keep my heater, skimmer, and fuge in the sump. I'm currently using a pondliner tub. Some people have used rubbermaid tubs. Anything that holds water, really :)

I have something in my nano, dunno what though. It rid me of 3 of 4 walls being 99% (literally) covered in hair algae. This stuff sprouted and it was gone in less than a week.

Back