Macroalgae Ulva, Brown Gracilaria, & Codium in sump that I am building soon

2008pollyanna

Reefing newb
I have purchased a 40 gallon tank and purchased baffles to make a larger sump. Any ideas on how to implement an area for these 3 macros? Do I need like a live sand bed or refugium mud? I know I better get a light right or will ordinary daylight in the house work, as the sump is not going to be under the tank, but along side it. I currently have 3 mangroves in my lil sump waiting for the big sump to be made. I havent any light on them. Hope it doesnt foul the water????
But, is codium a good idea for the sump...my tang may like the ulva and brown gracilaria to munch.

Sand and rock rubble would be good to have.A deep sand bed(5+ inches) is supposed to with denitrification and the rubble will give the pods a place to feel safe and breed.
Then your macros will help use up any excess nutrients.

Ogo and ulva are more difficult than the regular macro algae we use for nutrient export.In this case mud maybe a better option or mixing the two.Those algae can die without warning,fouling the water.You might to look into testing for iron,magnesium and maybe iodine.

Back