Mac's New Nano Reef (20 gal) *lots of pics*

TheMightyMac

Reefing newb
This is my very first saltwater tank and I can say its going very well. I'll list the equipment:

2 hydor 240 powerheads
Penguin 150 filter (just sponge)
A good heater w/ temp control
A good bubbler
T5 light (10,00k and 460/420nm)

TANK CONTENTS:

2 Ocellaris Clownfish
8 lbs of live rock
Aragonite live reef sand

5 hermit crabs
5 Turbo snails
2 Peppermint Shrimp
Formia Starfish
Emerald Crab

Coral:

Finger Leather coral
A Kenya Tree coral
A Zoa
Metallic Green Star Polyps

I'm loving saltwater. I still have a 5g fresh tank but my saltwater is my favorite.

So hows my tank look? And tips? Thanks for reading

PICS:
the Kenya Tree
attachment.php

The Kenya Tree 1 Month Later
attachment.php

The Beige Zoanthid
attachment.php

A Pic Of The Old Damsels...im not gonna miss them. (they got fed to my brothers piranhas)
attachment.php

My New Clowns (a pair now i think)
4495a2eb-f83a-37c8.jpg

a Very Nice Green Zoa (looks great under the LED moonlight)
4495a2eb-f87b-9cdd.jpg

a Cool Looking Hermit Crab
4495a2eb-4ced-9512.jpg

a Metallic Green Star Polyps (my newest coral :p)
d15b6bc1-2ca4-e8d9.jpg

Formia Starfish (thanks for the ID 3reef!)
d15b6bc1-2cd2-18aa.jpg

a crappy Image of My Emerald Crab
d15b6bc1-2cf7-3da2.jpg

an Updated Pic of the Tank (as of 3/10/2012)
d15b6bc1-2d4c-a658.jpg

newer LED Moonlight Pic
d15b6bc1-7c57-58e9.jpg

Nice side view with Starfish
44943979-5119-6ce3.jpg

Peppermint shrimp "just chilling" (Emerald crab in background)
44943979-51bd-2fb2.jpg

VIDEO OF THE TANK: [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMyfpdXkqFM"]THE VIDEO OF MY NANO[/ame]

Thanks For Reading.

do you feed your kenya? my girlfriend surprised me today with a frag and i wasnt really expecting it as i did not do research on how to keep it so idk if i need to feed it or just leave it there. idk how fast it grows and if i need to place it near rock or not. any help would be nice.

Very nice setup...i would remove the bubbler, it causes lots of salt creep. And make sure you clean the filter sponge often to help keep the nitrates down. :)

Jesse. The Kenya tree coral is going to be one of the easiest corals the have. Just wedge it in between two rocks and it will attach and let it grow. Don't have to feed it. Once it gets settled it will get huge and start dropping babies left and right. And its like the water a little dirty so you don't have to worry about it being picky.

Mac, you tank looks like it coming along well. The only thing I suggest is more rock. The rock is the main source of filtration. I suggest getting dry rock, its cheaper and will become live in a month or so. All the corals look great. Love that Gsp.

Thank you. I kinda traded it for star polyps cuz I think they look nicer in my tank. Any help with that lol. As in how fast it grows. I know it grows fast but a better description of fast would be nicce like a personal story of something

Jesse, of your talking about Gsp, green star polyps then they grow super fast! I started out with just a little peice broke off a big colony and now that pitied peice is covering a whole rock the size of a softball, its growing on the back glass and the two rocks next two it. One is gets settled in your tank it will really take off. I personally like it way better than the Kenya trees. It so easy to frag and grows so fast that you don't rlly miss the fragged peice.

Back