Made a good call.

lilmatty5dimes

Reef enthusiast
Well, went to the lfs today to buy my first fish for the 90 gallon tank. They had a flame angel there for $30. Usually they are or just sold one for $75. This lil guy was shipped in a bag with another flame. Needless to say this one got picked on. It was missing half of his side fin and a couple of picks out of his tail fin. Needless to say it was a tempting to buy him since he was half off but decided not to. They have a shipment coming in Saturday. I'll look and see what they have and if nothing new I like it'll be a kole tang they've had for a month.

I agree it was a good call! Also, since this will be your first fish, you really should start with a peaceful fish. Fish such as a kole tang or dwarf angel should be your last additions as they will bully other members of the tank. If you add them first you are going to be in for trouble when you try to put in other less aggressive fish.

Likely a good call. I have picked up a fish that was a little beat up and they do heal as long as they are eating. It best to put more peaceful fish in first. Flame angels can be pushy on good days. Good rule of thumb is to put the most aggressive one in last. Take it from the voice of experience! My flame was #4 and I have had issues with him. My Damsel was last and he is one of the most peaceful in my tank.

Quick note: the damsel was last. I lost my Royal Gramma to ich and just put a new one in. We will see if the damsel stays nice!

I would advise against adding a Kole Tang as the first fish to your tank. I have one, and he is a complete ass. It took adding an Achilles tang (who is boss fish) to settle the Kole down. He used to chase after everything in the tank, now he's too busy looking over his shoulder checking out where the Achilles is

I'm not saying that you shouldn't have a Kole, I'm just saying that it shouldnt be the first fish you add to your tank, if it is I think you'll have issues down the road - that's all

Back