Made a huge mistake.

PringlesLFE

Mmm...Salty.
Hey everyone! I just came back from month long vacation...and discovered that my air conditioning unit at home broke. I had set a timer on it so that it could keep my room temperature regulated...
My tank has essentially boiled and collapsed on itself...I should have been smarter and given the tank to my friend who knows a thing or two about SW tanks instead of giving keys to my neighbor to feed my fish and change my water...he completely failed to mention that the water was bordering 90F while I was gone.
The only inhabitants that survived were my pair of clowns and my two bristleworms (noticed the 2nd one when I found my snails all dead)

I feel ashamed and embarassed to make this huge of a mistake...and let everything just die like that. I'm considering taking a break from SW and giving everything left to a friend who will be starting a 40Breeder reef soon.

I got my girlfriend a betta and a 2.5 minibow a year ago..and now that's passed as well...

I'm trying to pick up my feet, learn from my mistakes, and start clean. I still need to see if the 45 Bowfront will fit in my new room or if I could keep it in my livingroom but until then, if I decide to not take a break from the hobby (although I'm still obsessed), what are some recomendations for future plans?

I was considering some sort of FOWLR predator fish in my bow front and keeping the 2.5 as a breeding tank for some kind of food for it. (I've heard that feeding predators live foods can oftentimes cause multiple problems but decided to ask anyway)

Suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Sorry to hear that,it sux.Don't beat yourself up though.
a 45 bow is a great tank,but i'm not so sure i would go predator with it,JMO
Good luck ..

Man that sucks to hear. Not sure how much you lost but recovery doesn't sound like it would be too hard to do. If you had some soft corals that died they may actually come back on their own.

That sux.But your not the first one to boil a tank.It happens a lot more than we like to think.
Just take a day to settle down.Then take stock of whats left.The rock and sands not hurt.That bacteria in the rock will still support the tank.The coralline and pods will regrow.Even some of the soft corals may come back.

Damn...sorry to hear that bro. Go ahead and stuck with the hobby and set your 45 up. We all learn from our mistakes and have all made them, so don't beat yourself up about it. It will actually be easier this time around. :)

thanks for the support guys lol. I'm stuck at my father's wine store in New York City on a rainy sunday lonely and drinking in the back room =[

They certainly don't tell you in Reefing 101 that you can never take another vacation for the rest of your life...You could leave Jacques Cousteau in charge of your tank and he'd still blow it up:D...I hope everything works out for you.

That really sucks Pringles, but a lot of us have gone through this to including myself. Do give up, learn from you mistakes and you'll come back stronger than ever. Don't give up. Quit when you're on top of the game not now!

Alright you guys have convinced me lol. Even though my new bedroom is the size of a closet, I will make room for my 46 bowfront...and spend money on the tank as well as my newly adopted dog.

I've never really been interested in the shoaling/schooling fish of the marine world but recently I find that a group of damsels or chromis would be a nice addition. Blue reef chromis look fantastic but a little out of my range for this purpose..I'm considering (3) four stripe damsels.

Would they get along with my two Ocellaris Clowns in a 46 bow? Thanks in advance

A lot of the time clowns, damsels and chromis will chase and pick on one another. It just depends on the individual most of the time. They can all be mean little shits!

Damn that's what I expected lol. any other kinda schooling fish I could keep in a mini-group? I'm looking at anthias but they're a little pricy for me to have 3 or 4 of

A school of 5 or 7 very small Chromis would be neat. They might eventually fight when they get bigger but at least they are cheap. I had a school of 20 at one time and it was extremely cool to sit and watch them schooling when the large Tangs would swim by.

The blue green chromis are a great choice. The yellow tail damsles are ok and not as aggresive as some of the others as well but I wouldn't call the yellow tails a schooling fish.

Cool. I think i'll go with the blue/green chromis then. Blue reef chromis look awesome but they're priced almost at $20 each =[
Are there any other schooling marine fish for me to consider? Just curious =D

Last edited:
holy cow. I would think a blue green Chromis would be more like $5 each at the most. $20 each sounds like a robbery. You could fit 5 of the larger ones in a 46 though.

Oh the reef chromis are just a larger version. They all have the same blue green hue to em. Go for the smaller ones in a smaller tank.

Back