MadHatters 15 Gallon Column Reef

madhattertcm

Reefing newb
My ex and I (whom I was living with) broke up, so my 50 gallon tank stayed there :(

So at my office, I had a 15 gallon column for a freshwater setup. I gave away the fish and plants and started up a new saltwater tank in early December. It finished its cycle last week. So now I have corals and fish in it.

Week 1 (Dec 10):

Put in Pink Fiji and water.
Got Dry Rock, Snails, crabs from reefcleaners.org (love their dry rock pieces)

Week 2ish Dec 18ish:

Went to check out a new LFS for the first time. Helpful guys! Plus they're trying to gain new business.

From them I got:
- Got some FREE live rock to sprinkle in my dry rock (some of the rubble with coraline is already spreading).
- FREE Test kits
- food
- wall scraper

Week 3
Got in an order from Marine Depot which included:
- 3x Stunner LEDs (12k/445). I already had a 10k T5 in the tank, so these little guys fit in on my lid perfectly, as well lit up the tank to be super bright.
- Heater
- Refractometer
- Power outlet/timer

Week 4
- Wait

Week 5
Test water. Everything is golden! Coral shopping time!

We have a lot of good LFS, so I went to a few different ones to find what I want. Ended up with:

- Metallic Green Torch Coral
- Mix of Green Dragon and what looks like watermelon, but I don't think are..
- Small Frogspawn
- Ricordea
- Clown
- Some sort of Acro
- on the frag rock of the acro, was growing some fuzzy not-sure type of sps.

I'm getting to take 2 shots at SPS in this tank. Might be risky, but we'll see.

NEXT STEPS: Figuring out filtration. There's no place for a sump, so I may consider a CPR AquaFuge. I saw someone else on YouTube doing this with his 15 gallon column, and it seems to a nice idea.

IMAG0308.jpg

IMAG0310.jpg

IMAG0312.jpg

IMAG0314.jpg

Can anyone help me identify the exact acro and the other fuzzy sps?
IMAG0315.jpg

IMAG0316.jpg

Last edited:
Looks good...sorry to hear about your tank staying behind....When I got divorced she got the nice camera...sure miss the camera...

Some new additions:

Picked up some Goniapora and Zoas from a LFS
IMG_5343.JPG

IMG_5344.JPG

Also picked up from Xenia from a local guy giving it away! I think I' going to end up putting this on the back glass and letting it grow wild.
IMG_5345.JPG

Coraline is starting to dust the rocks. I'm adding one more stunner strip next week towards the back to even out some of the lighting.
IMG_5347.JPG

Last edited:
Back