mag pump

margaritaville

Reefing newb
Thinking of either the mag drive 1200 or 1800 for my return on my 220
any suggestions? Bigger is better?
Anyone know what the flow rate is on a perfecto 220 with 2 1" drains?

Ok im goin crazy, just got off the phone with fosters and smith and I dont know the lady didnt really seem to know too much, but said the 2400 was too big and recommended the 1200. I dont want to undersize, I have the mag7 on my 75 and it dosnt seem to push much water at all. Any thoughts?

I know on my 125 I have a mag 7 and to do a reef tank Im upgrading to a mag 950 I have a hob overflow box and I was told by the previous owner that I will have to have the overflow at full throttle just to keep up with the 950 I dont know if this helps in your decision.

Thanks for the replies. I talked to my friend who owns a LFS and told her to get the 2400 if its on sale, if not I will get the 1800. FIgure I can use a ball valve and turn it down a bit if the flow is too much.

What I did with my sump is I have PVC coming from the return pump, then it branches (like a T) and one branch goes back into the sump (with a ball valve on it) and the other branch of the T goes to the main tank (also with a ball valve on it). That way if your pump is too powerful, you can redirect some of the water back to the sump without putting any back pressure on the pump.

Bifferwine said:
What I did with my sump is I have PVC coming from the return pump, then it branches (like a T) and one branch goes back into the sump (with a ball valve on it) and the other branch of the T goes to the main tank (also with a ball valve on it). That way if your pump is too powerful, you can redirect some of the water back to the sump without putting any back pressure on the pump.

You are very wise,grasshopper:D

Back