Magic Eraser - tank cleaning question

Axegod

Axegod
Hello,

I have a used tank that I will clean and get running. I understand that no "cleaners" should be used ie) vinegar and scrapers and elbow grease recommended.

...but can the plain mr. clean magic eraser used for the inside of the tank?

Also, since I have used equipment, can i run regular tap water in my system for a few days to test out everything (heater, filer, jets, etc) before I add anything? I will then flush everything out with salt water and dispose of filter items before I add rock/cycle.
I just want this running in my garage for a while to see if anything needs replacing before I move the system to my living room.

I don't see why you couldnt use the magic eraser. Just do a final wipe/cleanse with vinegar and water.
And ya, testing with tap water is fine.

Yes, you can test your system with freshwater. :)
Not sure about Magic Eraser. I would stick with a fifty-fifty solution of white vinegar and water.

Cleaned out a freshwater tank with just water and vinegar, i could have used cleaners, but i didnt trust myself to rinse it out good enough.

Took longer, but it was spotless and nice smelling before it was filled with saltwater.

Thanks all !

I will check the package to confirm - but I thought they were free from cleaning agents and derived their ability to clean from the micro pours. I guess my only worry would be small particles being sanded off when cleaning a rougher area.

Cheers

I say if it's chemical-free, then go for it. Let us know how it works; maybe that's a new trick we can recommend to people if it works well. :)

I love magic eraser....got many-a-crayon drawings off my walls :mrgreen: Not sure how it works, though. Because when you use it, the sponge starts to disappear, so not sure if it leaves behind chemicals.

But why bother using it when you get the same and much-safer effect of using just water/vinegar?

Since your going to set up in the garage for a few days with fresh water I say go for it! If your still worried about it drain the FW and refill it for another day or two, that should rinse anything left behind out.

I have been using a magic eraser on my freshwater tank on the inside to get the algae off of the front of the tank for over a year with no problems.

Back