Maiden's hair plant

oleolson1

Reefing newb
Has anyone heard of this stuff? I think I have it in my tank. When I moved a couple years ago, I neglected my tank and this stuff took over. It grew over the top of my rock and it was about an inch long or more in some spots. I can pull it off in clumps when it gets big enough but I don't like that solution. I've been fighting it ever since and am finally looking for a solution. I will post some pictures when I get home. My knowledge is not very good, so any schooling is very welcomed, good or bad.:frustrat:

Biocube 14

I have heard of it, but its more likely that you have just regular hair algae. But any algae feeds off of nitrates in the water column, so the first step in fighting them is identifying why you have nitrates.

What sort of water are you using, what fish do you have, how often are you feeding, what are you feeding and how often are you doing water changes?

+1 Little Fish...That's hair algae. Stop using tap water for your tank...That will help right off the bat.

But we need more information in regard to your water tests and equipment.

I have two clowns, a damsel and just got a blenny. Two turbo snails and a bunch of hermit crabs. I feed in the morning. I'm going to cut out the flake food or use it sparingly, from what I have learned by reading posts on here. I'm doing a daily water change, about 10-15% to try and get my nitrates down. My ammonia and nitrites are good, just the nitrates were high.

Thanks for the replies, I'll take all your advice.

You may also want to look into getting a Sea Hare. They will eat the algae, however be prepared to pull it out and return it to the store once your hair is gone.

That is a lot of fish for only 14 gallons. I personally wouldnt put more than two in there. That is part of the reason you have nitrates. Feeding flaked food is also contributing to that.

I had 5 fish total when I first started. The goby died because he never got any food with the damsels and the clowns taking everything. The levels were always good with all those fish. I won't be getting any more though, 4 is enough. I'm going to try the other stuff first and then I'll think about the fish levels. Thanks for the input.

I should also add, some tank neglect most likely, if not definately, added to higher levels. I now have the time I need to put into the tank so right now it's kind of a rehabilitation. Thanks again.

Back