Maintenance Equipment

Aries85

Reefing newb
I was wondering if anyone could possible give me an idea as to what items I should have on hand to preform my maintenance with. We are currently going for a reef setup in the RSM, but we defiantly be taking it slow at first. I can provide you with a list of what I thought of so far and if there is anything I am missing could you let me know. It would be a major help to us. Also, if you have any recommendations could you please let us know.

Maintenance: Salifert: Calcium, Iodine, Phosphate, Alkalinity / dKH test kit API:Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate,pH test kit,Phosphate, nitrate, calcium, and magnesium test kit, Gloves,, 3 5 gallon bucket w/ lids , pump and tubing to xfer stored water to tank and heater,refractometer, pH Meter, Mag-Float Cleaner, Glass Safe Scrubber, salt mix, foods, a net, siphon/vacuum, and thermometer

These are one of the best things I ever bought:
Coralife Aqua Gloves (One Pair Shoulder Length Protective Gloves) (Saltwater Aquarium Supplies > Maintenance > Protective Gloves )

I don't think you need duplicate phosphate tests. The presence of algae is a much better indicator of phosphate than a test is, as the algae can consume the phosphate as quickly as it is released into the water column, so your test can still read 0, but you can have algae galore.

Here is another thing that I love, it attaches to the MagFloat:
Easy Blade - Black (Glass Only) (Saltwater Aquarium Supplies > Maintenance > Algae Cleaning Magnets )

You will also need a small powerhead with which to make up new saltwater with.

Good call on going with a refractometer over a hydrometer. Spending $40 on a hydrometer can save you countless headaches down the road.

I don't think a pH meter is necessary unless you really want to shell out the cash for it. For now, a regular old pH test will do fine.

As for food, your best bet is to use frozen only. Pellets and flakes contain ash, which can lead to algae problems.

I have never used a powerhead for water changes except for moving tanks. with good salt, a firm "swish" of your hand in the water to mix up the salt and let it sit is all you really need.

-Dr Marco :sfish:

Back