Majano Anemone?

AundriaM

Reefing newb
So I was moving rocks around in my tank yesterday and found some hitchhikers. I'm pretty sure they are Majano Anemones but would appreciate it if someone who has actually seen these before could take a look.

I have heard of people that keep these, and people who kill them asap - are there actually any pros to keeping thesa? I already see approximately 10 that are the size of my thumbnail - if I should get rid of these, can anyone tell me how? I've been lucky and pest free so far....

TIA!

Attachments

• Anemone.jpg
    Anemone.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 6,904
  • Anemone 1.jpg
    Anemone 1.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 5,540
Yep, those are majanos.

They are *supposedly* not as harmful aiptasia, but I used to have 30+ in my tank. I started with one hitch hiker, didn't kill it because I had heard that they don't really do damage to surrounding corals, but then they started spreading like crazy. They were popping up everywhere -- even in the middle of my coral colonies. I tried killing them with Joe's Juice, and that worked, but they slowly came back. Now I just periodically zap them with Joe's Juice once in a while.

I agree,definitely majanos.

They have no known predators.Recently,the two or three I had started to reproduce rapidly.Even popping up on the base of a trumpet coral,keeping a couple of heads from opening.I would go ahead and kill them now before they get out of hand.Same technique use for aiptasia,Joe's Juice or remove the rock,smearing a thick paste of salt.

Back