Majano or something else?

FishyReef

Broke Reefer!
I bought a rock with a colony of zoas on it last weekend. I've since noticed that is has these small green polyps on it as well. They are a smaller than the zoas (which are tiny zoas) and the "skirt" (or tentacles) on the mystery polyps them doesn't seem as thick as a normal zoa. The center appears to have a pinkish hue with green skirt/tentacles. They are pretty tiny so its hard for me to really tell if they are some sort of polyp or if they are a pest. They do seem to be coming more apparent, making me think that whatever they are, they are spreading, and some of the zoas are not as open as they used to be, and I'm seeing at least one of these mystery polyps in the middle of the zoas that are closing. They maybe look like majanos, but most of the pics of majanos online are when they are bigger. Does anyone either have a good pic of baby majanos, or have an idea of what these might be? I tried to get pics, but don't think you can really see much of anything in the pic that would be helpful towards identification.

Oh, and if they are majanos, how can I get rid of them w/o pitching the rock (or saving the zoas on the rock)?

I had some tiny ones that never got bigger than a pencil eraser. Was told they were majano so I used Joe's Juice and it worked like a charm. This is what mine looked like.

PICT1003-1.jpg

And here is a good read on pest nems. Aiptasia Anemone - Information and Control Methods

Yup, that's pretty much what it looks like, only green with pink centers. Thanks!

Does aiptasia x work to kill these guys as well (I already have some of this)? If not, then I'll call around tomorrow to see if any local places carry joes juice. Since some of these are in between my zoa polyps, what's the best way to remove them w/o killing the zoas?

Last edited:
Aiptasia X works fine to kill them. Aiptasia X only kills what you directly apply it to. And it's very easy to use -- it comes out of the syringe as a thick paste. Just put it on the majano, taking care not to get it on the zoas.

Okay, thanks Biff!

These were the best pics I could get of them today. What do you guys think, are they indeed majanos?

Back