Majestic Angel and Naso Tang Adult Size

MikeG

Ex-Member
Hi, I'm new to Living Reefs, but have been checking out the posted threads for a while now and had a question about just how big certain fish can get in the home aquarium.

I have a 180 gallon and I wanted to add a Majestic Angel (P. Navarchus) which shouldn't be a problem as their max size is 10 to 12 inches. Do they ever reach their max size? Can anyone recommend what the best size to get a Majestic at that will acclimate easiest to the home aquarium? I was thinking a juvi/changling somewhere in the 2" to 3" range. Does that sound reasonable?

Also I really like the Blonde Naso Tang but I don't want a fish that will get twice as large as the Angel. Do Naso's really get upwards of 16" - 18" in an aquarium?

Right now in the 180 I have a Vagabond Butterfly, Copperband Butterfly, One Spot Foxface, Harlequin Tusk (a baby, only about 1 1/4" hasn't even got his bright orange and blue colors yet) and a school of 7 blue/green chromis. I will also be moving my Sailfin Tang out of my 60 gallon to the 180 in a month or so.

Sorry to get so long winded and thanks in advance for any advice.

Mike

Both of those fish will get large, very close to what you stated, as will the sailfin. With the fish you have you could get away with them but IMO you would be pretty close to your maximum bioload.

Welcome to the site, you're going to love it here.

Hello and Welcome!

Ryan has you covered, but i personally dont think you will be able to keep those fish in a 180 for their entire lives. They will more than likely outgrow that tank, and especially with the naso, its going to happen faster than you expected.

Thanks for the response. I really like the Naso, but I don't like overcrowding my tanks and since I'm gonna have to move the Sailfin in a month or so to the 180 I'm just gonna add the Majestic Angel only and stop there. Anyway after I move the Sailfin then I'll be able to add a fish or two to my 60 gallon as I'll only have a Maroon Yellow Strip Clown, Coral Beauty Angel and Blue Damsel in there. I'll have to start thinking about what would be compatible in there.

If you are going to leave the Naso off the list you will have room for a few more smaller fish or maybe a pair of butterflys. Nasos poop like a beagle, they're big nasty fish that play hell on a bioload.

Back