Major Brand Tap Water Conditioner are Toxic???

saboken_deleted

Reefing newb
I was just looking into what was in some of the products I have used im my tank because I purchaced some Seachem Laboratories Purigen and fount that if any stress coat contains a amine based polymer it will ruin the Purgen and make it toxic!!! in my hunt of products composition's I found that sodium thiosulfate the main ingredient in many water treatments is realy bad stuff!!! one company has the MSDS online for one of there products and after reading it it's real scary stuff kinda like the saying the cure is worse than the disease! heres the link I read http://www.apifishcare.com/pdf/Tap_Water_Conditioner-1.pdf
I think I am going Chem free no matter how safe they say it is!!!

I find it funny that a product developed for use in an aquarium is "very toxic to marine organisms"

But other than that, I didn't see anything else that would stand out as dangerous in the MSDS. Any chemical will tell you to wear gloves and safety glasses while handling it.

I personally think using a good ro/di is a far better way to go then adding chemicals to your tap water. I also try to deal with algae in natural ways rather than adding chemicals to combat it. I'm not huge into organic and non-chemical stuff in the other areas of my life, but when it comes to my tank I definitely try to stay as chemical free as possible!

Back