Making an ATS in a bucket

felixfish

newbie reefer
I took out my algae turf scrubber when I re-vamped my sump tank. I have a refugium set up now and still want to incorporate the ATS. I have ran across bucket style ones and wanted to make one out of my screen and piping. It all sizes up but with the lighting is where I'm getting confused. I originally had 2-CFL in medium sized reflectors. Would I just clip those to the top of the bucket aiming down, or could I cut holes into the sides of the bucket and mount them that way?

Also I have seen the Rubbermaid tote set ups as well. I plan to pump the water up and out of the sump, into the ATS, then gravity feed the water back into the sump.
Thanks

You would clip them to the top of the bucket and aim them down, this works a little bit better in a larger tub than a bucket. I have my scrubber in a bucket and the scubber has to hang above the bucket to get light.

Could you cut threw the side of a Rubbermaid container to mount the lights? Would the fixture potentially melt it? I have seen a few, but don't see any DIY's on it.

Well I made the Lowes trip yesterday and decided upon a rubbermaid container with Lid to place my ATS in. I had to improvise a bit with getting a bulkhead type connector to gravity feed the water back into the refugium. Just a side note, the employees in Lowes had no idea where my ideas were heading, as they never do. Anyways, I cut up the rubbermaid container to fit my current ATS into it, and still in the works. I'll post pics up of my progress.

Back