Making Live Rock

fishman

Reefing newb
Has anyone tried making rock from cement and sand?If anyone has can they tell me how it cam out . Maybe some tips or tricks on how to do this.I know it will take time to cure .But time cures everything

Be careful when you put things in your tank that did not come from the ocean. The wrong elements on an item can wipe out your tank. For example one penny can cause to much copper to be in your system, or a loose screw that falls in and starts rusting. These things can potentially wipe out your tank. Your best to buy live rock or dead rock which is cheaper from a fish store.

fishman said:
Has anyone tried making rock from cement and sand?If anyone has can they tell me how it cam out . Maybe some tips or tricks on how to do this.I know it will take time to cure .But time cures everything

home made live rock

Cement for home made live rock is no good for it will leach lime and prevent you from maintaining a proper ph balance. I have used River rock from local rivers after sterilizing with water and bleach, again stay away from lime stone it would have the same effect as cement.

you can do it

You can't use just any cement. You need white cement and you mix it with three parts Argonite sand/shell mix. You can go to GARF.org and they give you the recipie on how to do it or you can purchase it straight from them. I like virgin rock because it will not introduce problems into your system. I like building my own because I get exactly, well almost, what I want to fit my reef. I've used GARF rock arches and they are great. It takes little to no time for it to accumulate algae and inverts and be better than what is made in nature without damaging our precious wild reefs.

Wow, the garf.com site is quite intresting, you could definetly design some awesome aquascape with their rocks. I will have to try this soon.

on a different note

Chris, I'm trying to identify what I think is an invertibrate like an anenome or something. A local pet store has these growing in a tank they sell Sabes and the like from. They are short, about 2", and light orange color. They have a stem like a real mushroom and the top is a group of tenticles with little rounded tips like small bb's. They are very prolific and have spread all over his rock. They quickly withdrawl into the rock when you poke at them. I like how they sway in the water and I find them attractive. The store owner says they are a pest. Since one man's pest is another man's treasure I want to find out what they are and if I should avoid them or what. Someone said they might be sailor's eyes but I can't find anything under that name. Any thoughts?

aptasia

I think the item your describing is Aptasia. It is a pest and will take over tank if allowed. They like to sting other anemones or corals. They are quite prolific and spread fast but there are several ways to try to combat it. Pepermint shrimp are 1 way and CopperBanded Butterflys are another. Hope this helps.

Lee

I have never tried.I thought about it,but after reading up I changed my mind.
Aluminum is one of the componets of cement,and is not good for a reef tank.
Also some have issues with the porosity of the rock.Try this site http://www.garf.org/

are they brown in color to an almost transparent color and if they are they would be considered the dandolion of the reef i will get back to you on the proper name.

Aiptasia.
aiptasiaDsc02034-vi.jpg

if it looks anything like above, stay away. They are actually selling those to unknowing customers??? Thats nuts.

On the rock deal. Garf.com and reefcentral has good articles on it, and other rock making techniques. I like what I have now, but i may try to make more to fill the void in the middle of my tank soon.

If you havent already done so, check out the helpful articles forum and on page 5 you will find an article on making your own live rock and sand.

Back