Making Unique sump better>>>

felixfish

newbie reefer
I set up a 29g sump for my 55g FOWLR tank a while back. I first attempted to place in a bubble trap, but the baffles came apart & opted to run it without them. However all I have in my sump, is an ATS (Algae Turf Scrubber), Coralife super skim 65, and Live Rock from my DT plus heater. I have been thinking of ways to clean it up. There is some detritus on the floor, and I'm sure in some of the rock work.

The way my PVC piping goes into the tank, is threw the wall into the furnace room, and to the bottom of the tank with a 90 elbow. I stacked the LR around that to minimize the microbubbles. My ATS is directly above that, and my skimmer is a HOB, then my return Mag7 pump with an additional return pipe back to ATS side.

Should I look into cutting the pipe to add a filter sock? I hopefully with be getting a duel BRS reactor for xmas I will be adding as well. Which direction should I go to improve it? My nitrates are around 5ppm, and phospates are 1ppm. There is some red cyano still hanging around and diminishing green alage on the base rocks in the DT, & in the sump.
Thanks

Pics are when I first set up the sum, no baffles now

Attachments

• sump1.jpg
    sump1.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 665
  • Copy of set up.jpg
    Copy of set up.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 618
Back