Making your own saltwater

MKsreef

Reefing newb
I am thinking about making my own saltwater as I am getting tired of lugging 5 gallon jugs from the LFS. I have a RO/DI unit for my top off water so I am set there although I am thinking of upgrading to a unit that makes more per day. I will be using Instant Ocean and the box recommends using a dechlorinator such as BIO-Coat Marine to neutralize any tap water chlorine and/or chloramines. Just wanted to get your thoughts on this and the process from those of you that make your own water. I don't want to upset my tank as it is doing really well. Thanks...MLK

If you're making your own water, no need to add a declorinator or anything...just add salt to your ro water.

i agree with smitty, thats how i do it, oh, and you dont really need a big unit, mine is SLOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWW cause of how low the water pressure is where i live, but i've allways got 32 gallons of RO ready to use... you could do the same,

Yep. Why haven't you been making your own water all along? It's so much cheaper and easier!

The box/bag/bucket of salt will tell you how much to add. Usually it's 1/2 cup per gallon or something. Add the salt to your RODI water, and drop in a small powerhead to mix it. Let it mix overnight, then check the salinity. Add salt or RODI water to bring the salinity up or down as needed.

im just like you mksreef

except i make my saltwater but buy the ro. haha i need to get a rodi unit. my lfs has a di unit that wastes no water and makes good clean water. i think im going to get it.

I have a big ole trash bin that I keep full of rodi....for life's emergency water changes and top offs :) I swear, I'd go nuts if I had to run to my LFS or walmart everytime I needed water. Good decision you made, MK, buying that rodi!

I get free salt water and ro from the LFS, as long as I walk in with two cups of coffee for the owners.:wink:

i'm using trashcans from homedepot for mixing and ro storage, they work just fine, but i'm about to build my water tower, over my sump for the 210, and so, i'll be going to "real" water tanks kinda like D2 did on his auto water changer thingy ....

I do! There is just way too much difference in temperature.

I think if it's a system like Dennis' then it's just such a small amount at each time so it doesn't really mater. I use a heater for large water changes but not for small top offs.

I do! There is just way too much difference in temperature.

I think if it's a system like Dennis' then it's just such a small amount at each time so it doesn't really mater. I use a heater for large water changes but not for small top offs.

Exactly.

Just to nit pick.... salinity doesn't change with temp because it's ppt-- grams/kg of water.... the weight of water doesn't so much change with temp. just means a bigger volume will be needed for 1 kg of water at a higher temp than at a lower...

Specific gravity, however, DOES change with temp. so be careful what you're measuring! :)

I make my saltwater overnight...i mix it the night before, stick a heater and powerhead, by the next day, it's all nice and warm :)

Back