Male fairy/flasher wrasses

Angelajean

I know that I don't know
I hope this isn't a stupid question, but has anyone ever kept male wrasses only without females?

My son was asking me about keeping a couple of smaller males and no female.
I thought someone might have an idea if this can work.

Thanks,
Angie

Depending on individuals and species, there may be conspecific aggression. You could also have no issues at all. I believe most would agree on introducing them at the same time so they aren't given a chance to establish territory.

It's certainly doable, a lot will depend on the types of fairies/flashers you want. For the most part the males are generally more docile and will tolerate others better than females of the same type. You will pay more for male wrasses since their colors are different/brighter. Something your son might find cool is getting females and watching them as they turn male. Another cool thing is if you do get a male flasher with female(s). They'll actually "flash" their fins trying to attract the female, it's also really cool to watch.

Regardless of which way you go an acclimation box will be one of the best things for introducing the wrasses.

Yes, with wrasses if you introduce a group of females the most dominant will eventually turn male. In a big enough harem you could even see several males (one "super-male" or alpha and 1-3 or so sub-males). If you were later to introduce another male it's even possible for the less dominant one to revert back to female.

Pseudocheilinops ataenia most likely does change sex as well but, similar to six-lines and others they don't show coloration differences between the sexes so we actually can't tell what they are. They also don't group into harems like fairy or flashers.

Very interesting. Our LFS doesn't charge any more, nor do they guarantee that they are male or female.
I am trying to figure out how to identify male and female when they are younger it is definitely harder.
Example. I read one place that the Lubbock's Wrasse male has no dark stripes. Another place I read that the males have a certain pattern to the dark stripes (looks more like dashes to me).

I was under the impression that pink-streaks were demographic? If so, would the colouring also thicken and brighten? The reason I ask is my LFS has what I thought was a female pibk-streak, but its very bland compared to a male.

Very interesting. Our LFS doesn't charge any more, nor do they guarantee that they are male or female.
I am trying to figure out how to identify male and female when they are younger it is definitely harder.
Example. I read one place that the Lubbock's Wrasse male has no dark stripes. Another place I read that the males have a certain pattern to the dark stripes (looks more like dashes to me).
All younger wrasses start out female, they won't change till male until they hit sexual maturity. With flashers/fairies, there is a definite distinction, and you can easily tell the difference.
I'll see if I can find a pic of C. Lubbocki that shows the difference between M and F.

I was under the impression that pink-streaks were demographic? If so, would the colouring also thicken and brighten? The reason I ask is my LFS has what I thought was a female pibk-streak, but its very bland compared to a male.

What do you mean demographic? It's possible but I've never seen any articles/papers done on sexing wrasses like Pseudocheilinus or Pseudocheilinops. It's also hard to base it on coloring since that is affected by so many other variables like diet, stress, or color temp of the lighting.

I think he meant dimorphic.

Ahhh you's so smart :)

Well, the definition of dimorphic is occurring in or representing two distinct forms.
By that definition, if a male has the exact same markings and body/fins as the female just not as dull colored, to me that is not a distinct difference.

I did find a post where someone said they did have a mated pair of C. Ataenia but, of course they didn't have a camera to take pics and note the difference.

Sexual dimorphism is when males and females of the same species have obvious visual distinction.

It's also one of my favorite terms to throw around when people forget that I'm smart. ;)

Back