Mandarin staying in one section of tank

clancaster23

Reefing newb
I have had my mandarin for one week now and I'd be willing to bet that it has not come our from the left back corner of the tank more than two or three times since I put him in. He still looks healthy and none of the fish in the tank bother him. I did see him once come over to the other side of the tank and hang around where my two tomato clowns hang out and they basically didn't even recognize his presence so I don't believe he is being bullied but I can't figure out why he won't come out and browse the rest of the tank. I was believing that they would be a very active fish often even coming around when people come to the tank but he just hides back in that corner all the time. I doubt there's any way to coax him out of there. Anything I can do or just let it be? I hate to leave such a pretty fish stay hidden all the time. Very disappointing.

I'd just wait for him to get more comfortable to come out...he must feel very safe in that spot, or else, that's where most of the pods hang out.

My mandarins were very shy fish. I'd rarely ever see them. And when I did, they were usually in the same spot. I don't think what you are seeing is uncommon for this type of fish.

My clowns are the same, they stay in 1 spot in the tank they dont even move as if there is a string tied to them.I think mine has to do with my high lvl nitrate that wont go down as fast as i would want it to. Check your water might be same for you. My CUC are fine thought in there.

My MD stayed in the same spot for about a month, then all of a sudden one day came out and was cruisin around the tank in plain site. Think you just need to give it time.

Back