Mangroves

BigH55

I'm that guy
i decided to put some mangroves into the frag tank to make it like a fuge. How good are they at nitrate export and will they survive if i still run my Ozonator on my tank. LMK.

Nice article sounds like you would have to be a retard to kill them. Still didnt answer my question about having the O3 on while having them.

Sure. I assume some nutrients come from Photosynthesis also so it may work. Ill try it at 25mg/hr and if i see any side effects and work my way up. Luxkily they are $4 mangroves and not $50 corals. It will be interesting to see if it works and ill take pics every week to monitor the progress. Ill post the pics and let you guys decide.

I cant answer the ozone question, but the mangroves are normally easy to keep, I kept them for years, I would have times where they would just start dieing for no reason and then they would come back. Im told adding iron is beneficial for them. As to there nutrient export capability, I found that the only advantage for water quality was to have LOTS of them. A few wont make any difference, but they are neat to watch and add another touch to a diverse aquarium

I like the plant aspect. My frag tank is kind of a diverse enviroment where i can try different stuff without effecting the display. Also, its easy for my six yr old to see and hopefully it will teach him about the hobby too, which he loves. As soon as I get some chaeto im going to put that in there too. I think because of the ozone, I wasn't able to grow chaeto very well. I think they strip the water down pretty bare, if you saw what it made my skimmer put out you would agree.

Back