Mangroves

Kwater

Chill
I was wondering I am getting a really tight refugium sump and the refugium I am getting has I belive 4 little dividers sticking up like 3 or 4 inches in the refugium section. Telll me wut u think. In the first two have the normal refugium stuff. Then in the next one have that little section dedicated to growing my yellow tangs food. (algie and sea weed). Then in the last section have mangroves. What do u guys think about mangroves and what can u tell me about them. Also of course all of the sections will have mud. I might also throw a crab and snail in too. So all feed back will be great. Thanx.

Yes it is gona be under the tank but I have seen people with 5 or 8 inch mangrove plants that people have used. Figure I will get new ones now and then or trim them back.

I already have some Chaetomorpha and that stuff is supposed to be the best for removing nutrients from the water due to it's fast rate of growth. From what I've read, Mangroves grow slowly/use up far less nutrients.

That's a good site Dennis. I see Mangroves eat up excessive nitrates, which would certainly benefit me! Humm. Maybe I should try some too.

I thought those on that site were potted plants. Seeds. Humm. How long will they take to grow into plants? Are you putting them into your sump?

I thought those on that site were potted plants. Seeds. Humm. How long will they take to grow into plants? Are you putting them into your sump?

Why you gotta ask such hard questions and put me on the spot? :squint: :lol:

The "seeds" are basically short stalks with a bud at the tip. There's a pic in the other link I posted. I'm putting them in my sump, but haven't figured out how I'm going to secure them yet because I think the tip has to be above water. Might just see if some live rock will hold them steady if they are not long enough to plant in the sand. I read on reefcentral that it's better for them not to be planted so the roots grow faster and use up more nutrients.

hopefully if my home made tote fuge works tonight, then i can set it up, and order me some of these bad boys... yea, the nutrient export is cool,but i just wanna be able to say i have trees growing inside my fish tank stand...

Just one last queston. I have a little rock poking out of my tank and what would happen if I put a little mangrove on that rock and let the roots go into the water or do they need to have some type of dirt or sand to dig into. Or is a rock good enoughf. I'm gona put them in my refugium but u also was thinking about putting one in the main tank.

I think they would work in the substrate where they would feed of detritus for food, but I don't know about just sitting on a rock. They will get some nutrients out of the water but I don't know if that would be enough of not.

Kwater, i was wondering the same thing. Because I read that they actually get more nutrients from the water column then they would in the sand. :12:

Back