Mantis or Kool Algae?

Grassman

Reefing newb
I was looking at my tank last night with a flashlight and saw something either coming from under a rock or growing on the rock that looked like the picture below. Tonight I looked in the same spot with the lights on, and my LED flashlight but it was gone. Any suggestion what it might be? Sorry I'm not an artist and at 1:30am didn't want to wake the wife up getting the camera.

207-Identify.jpg

:chicken: CHICKEN :chicken:

On IMPORTANT issues like this,you should throw a pitcher of ice water on her just to have her witness the event.:mrgreen:

But I'm guessing mantis.:Cheers:

:chicken: CHICKEN :chicken:

On IMPORTANT issues like this,you should throw a pitcher of ice water on her just to have her witness the event.:mrgreen:

LOL! She took a phone book to me for letting Phil sniff one of the baby bunnies. She a mean woman!! LOL!

could very easily see if u have a mantis.....take a big piece of krill and put on skewer, put in tank, wave it around, and if something comes and snatches it u have one, if not, i bet u dont. you would hear some bashing going on and if he's a spearer he would be trying to make a home in your substartate. id suggest u keep your hands out of your tank till u find out what it is

could very easily see if u have a mantis.....take a big piece of krill and put on skewer, put in tank, wave it around, and if something comes and snatches it u have one, if not, i bet u dont. you would hear some bashing going on and if he's a spearer he would be trying to make a home in your substartate. id suggest u keep your hands out of your tank till u find out what it is

I hear snapping every now and then, but I haven't lost any hermit, emeralds, snails. Well I have, but their shells have never been smashed. Guess I'm buying a shrimp ring tomorrow.

If your hearing popping good chance u got one but I'd be really surprised that he hasn't gone after that emerald. My mantis can smell them the moment they go into the tank....keep looking. Do u have fish in this tank? Try to starve the tank for a few days too. Popping sound would increase. Then try the skewer thing. If he/she isn't hungry they might not come out.

Mantis don't always go after the hermits and snails. I had one that was just a tad over 1 1/2 inches in my 125 that didn't bother anything except for the pods and bristle worms.

he was fun to watch because he'd bow up at the fish until they got to close.Then he'd haul ass into the nearest hole he could find.

If your hearing popping good chance u got one but I'd be really surprised that he hasn't gone after that emerald. My mantis can smell them the moment they go into the tank....keep looking. Do u have fish in this tank? Try to starve the tank for a few days too. Popping sound would increase. Then try the skewer thing. If he/she isn't hungry they might not come out.

I have 2 clowns, 2 tangs and 2 blenny's in there. My first emerald crab last a claw, but it would fight with the other emerald I had and it was the smallest one so I thought it just got it's butt kicked. My tank hasn't been feed since my I started my blackout Saturday. I'll try the skewer tomorrow when I turn the lights on for a half hour, or should I try while the lights are still off?

During lights on will def be an advantage so u can see shit. Make sure u stick that krill on there good coz your fish are sure to go after it and nip at it. Put the krill where u saw the mysterious thing and sway it back and forth to slightly tease whatever it is. I hope you find something. I think if the mantis were to declaw your emerald he woulda finished the job unless he's realllly small. I feed only during the day if that helps. Most ppl I know also feed during lights on. Goodluck!

Back