Mantis Shrimp help

CDaubs

Reefing newb
So I finally saw him and now want to catch him. I built the plastic bottle trap, baited it with some Mysis and for two nights went hunting. NOTHING! :frustrat:

So...am I doing something wrong? Not giving it enuff time? Exactly how big should this trap be? The Mantis is small, < 1". Wrong bait?

Thanks??

I feel your pain....

I have several mantis in my tank... two have been caught but the big bugger is still in the tank. I have taken the rock where I know he was and did several dips, absolutely no luck. I have set up a water bottle with string attached with silver fish inside. Have been fishing for two nights with no luck.

I have been told patience....

Cathic,

If I catch him (or them) they are NOT going into another tank!! After watching how mean they are in some YouTube videos, I want NO part of them. They are EVIL

You gonna love mantis huntin Charlie.:D
Heres how I caught the last one I went after.
I took my net and tied some fishing line to the handle.Then I placed the net in the tank,as close to the mantis shrimps hole as I could get it.Once that was done,I started feeding him some silversides on a feeding prong.I got him used to that and then started working the food closer to the the net until I had him actually eating out of the net.Once he was comfortable eating in the net,catching him was as simple as setting the hook on a big flathead catfish.:D Just yanked him out.
But you'll need to be slow and deliberate.You've got to get him on the first try.After that,using the nets like pissin in the wind.It aint gonna happen.
One things for sure with a mantis though.You'll have more fun than a tornado in a trailer park trying to catch him.

So what if I don't know where he is living? I've only seen him along the ridge of the rock along the back of the tank, and at that, only a brief peek and then he dissapears back behind the rock!

after reading this thread, I went on Youtube and watched a few videos....

holy cow, good luck and I hope he doesn't get you.

So what if I don't know where he is living? I've only seen him along the ridge of the rock along the back of the tank, and at that, only a brief peek and then he dissapears back behind the rock!

I have noticed that my does not stray far from his cave. He travels maybe three inches from his cave then quickly returns. If you keep seeing him then he might live in that rock or nearby it.

This is not really a big deal.You ever done any deer or turkey huntin? If you have,you know that scouting is THE most important part.So its time to start scouting.
Spend some time just watching for him.Try to figure out where he's living.Get into his bedroom.Figure out the route he likes to take around the tank,where he's most comfortable.
Above all else.Take your time.
Mantis shrimp are NOT dumb inverts.They can and will learn and will give you a run for your money.Everything you try and he escapes from,is one method that probably aint gonna work.

Back