Mantis Shrimp help

You know why usually separates us humans from other animals. Is learning from other people. Being able to hear stories about what happens and taking a lesson from that story. I bet that kid didnt believe that the mantis shrimp was as deadly as people told him.

laughing.gif

So, I'm definitely glad for this thread, since I just found one tonight ... Yote, do you suggest the net over a small coke bottle? I would think if he goes in the bottle for the food it'd be harder for him to get out then it would be for him to get out of the net

Personally,I have never had any luck using the coke bottle traps for mantis.
I've watched them go in,get the bait and run right back out.
My net method,your actually sitting there with fishing line tied to the net and when the mantis goes in to get the bait,you yank him and the net out with one quick jerk of the line.

I have some frozen brine shimp, thawed out would that work? Or should I go out tomorrow and pick up some silversides?

So, before I tell you how, I'll go ahead and say that I just caught the mantis shrimp and 3 crabs with a pair of tweezers!
Well, first I did a quick fresh water dip and I'll tell you what, he was a tough little bugger. when I dipped it in the water, he hid in his hole. Then when I'd pull it out he'd stick his head out a little .... well I dunked it 3 more times then was putting it back into the tank and as soon as the saltwater hit him, he jumped right out of his hole. And he had to have been dazed because he wasn't moving very fast for me to catch him with the tweezers.

I can't take that title just yet, Yote's a mantis hunter. I'm more of a mantis bully, I was giving him fresh water swirlies, till he came out of his hole

Yea, I would have gotten him out of his hole but, I would have had 4 fingers when I pulled my hand out of the tank

I can't take that title just yet, Yote's a mantis hunter. I'm more of a mantis bully, I was giving him fresh water swirlies, till he came out of his hole

Waterboarding a mantis. :) Whoda thunk? :D Congrats on your catch. Watching the video I am gonna be scared to stick my hand in a tank! lol

Back