Mantis shrimp removal

Here's a video of my old mantis "Mr Nice Guy" this is a peacock mantis which is probably different then the one you have in your tank. Or had have you caught him yet?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQuTraEx16Y]YouTube - Mr Nice Guy the mantis shrimp[/ame]

Mantis are cool.Their fun to watch.But that dont mean I want one in my reef.
The problem with catching one out of a reef tank,is those things are smart.They'll learn how to avoid your traps and methods.

yeah, I wouldn't want one in my reef either. I have found the best way to remove them is to remove the rock from the tank that its in and it will jump out.

yeah, I wouldn't want one in my reef either. I have found the best way to remove them is to remove the rock from the tank that its in and it will jump out.

Thats the perfered method.But every mantis I've picked up so far,has made its home in a rock right in the middle on the bottom.:grumble:

wait, did you say break glass? holy crap! and to think i was thinking that they were pretty cool!

while they are capable.... i hear that it's more of an urban legend kind of deal that they will burrow into a corner and bust the glass.

anyone know someone who has had one bust the glass?

Small mantis are not strong enough to break glass, but I have had one that was 4" long that cracked my tank (it took me a few days to figure out why the tank was losing so much water LOL) I just siliconed a peice of glass back over the crack, its all good :)

If your going to keep one its probably best to use an acrylic tank. I love my mantis they have great personalities.

Yep I have had one bust the glass. The one in the video to be exact. :mrgreen:

while they are capable.... i hear that it's more of an urban legend kind of deal that they will burrow into a corner and bust the glass.

anyone know someone who has had one bust the glass?

she does

Small mantis are not strong enough to break glass, but I have had one that was 4" long that cracked my tank (it took me a few days to figure out why the tank was losing so much water LOL) I just siliconed a peice of glass back over the crack, its all good :)

If your going to keep one its probably best to use an acrylic tank. I love my mantis they have great personalities.

Man that cracked me up too! I'd love to keep one! How big of a tank woudl you need and what's the minimum you could get by with as far as equipment. That's awesome!

Man that cracked me up too! I'd love to keep one! How big of a tank woudl you need and what's the minimum you could get by with as far as equipment. That's awesome!
20 gallons would be plenty. itd have to be by itself, so you could get away with just live rock for filtration

Yep,The coris wrasses and the bigger wrasses will all hunt down and feed mantis meat.
That a whole other show in itself.The wrasses will try to get the mantis behind the head.Then once they have the shrimp caught,they'll beat them against a rock.

Yep,The coris wrasses and the bigger wrasses will all hunt down and feed mantis meat.
That a whole other show in itself.The wrasses will try to get the mantis behind the head.Then once they have the shrimp caught,they'll beat them against a rock.

Let's see the video boys! :lol:

I just noticed one in my tank today!!!!!
Got a new mushroom rock yesterday and he must have been in there.
I have no fish right now but will they eat mushrooms or other polyps? I am going to have to try to get him out before I add fish

Brian

Back