Mantis shrimp size requirements.

Washburn82

Reefing newb
so as some ppl know i have been entertaining the idea of a mantis shrimp tank. I just got a call tonight from a pet store nearby and they just got a 5 inch peacock mantis. He is gorgeous!!!!! Im hoping Dana will jump in here thing is i read 30 gallon tank for them. Would another 20 long be ok for them? I think the dimensions are the same as a 30 just not as deep. Also i will only be putting him and dead rock in there with about 3-4 inches of sand. I want to jump on this opportunity right away since they are so hard to come by and she is willing to give me a great deal on him. I dont have a tank cycled for him yet. Will just dead rock in there cause a deadly cycle for him? Im pretty sure it will but need to know for sure. Id love to house him in my current 20 long until i get a tank for him (same day i get him) but my cuc crew would become mantis fodder and who knows anout my fish. Would never put them through that. Any suggestions for a quick way to get this guy into my life? Or should i establish a tank first and hope he is stil available in a few months.

Last edited:
I can't really comment about the needs of the mantis, but I'm wondering if you can move some live rock from your other tank into the mantis tank? If you do so, you shouldn't have to cycle the tank

I could easily throw some live rock from my current tank in there. But not all that I would eventually put in there. Hmm.. Guess ill get a tank cycled first and see if I can somehow get a lead on another one someday. They are just very rare to get around here, I got all excited.

I had to do this when I set up a home for the clownfish. When I started my tank, I did it without a cycle. You can do this. Especially if you have a few days to make sure the new tank is ok. Just use a bunch of water from your established tank, and as much of your live rock as you can, and it shouldn't cycle. I waited to add any substrate though. When I did, I used Carib Sea live sand. Never had any problems with a cycle. Can you put a hold on the mantis for a day or two?

Big huge +1 to the tineh fish. And I would totally set up a tank just for a peacock. If you're going to go mantis, go big!

They can't house him while I setup a tank. So no dice on the mantis for now. They got it in really quick I wasn't ready for it. They say they can get more. Hopefully ill be ready next time. :-(

They can't house him while I setup a tank. So no dice on the mantis for now. They got it in really quick I wasn't ready for it. They say they can get more. Hopefully ill be ready next time. :-(

Peacock Mantis SHOULD be on your LFS's order lists pretty regular this spring and summer.I know our lists have several of em every week during the spring and summer.So just have them order you one when the tanks ready.

So im home now, big upset on not getting my mantis i was pretty stoked. But i had to look at it realisticly. I dont even have another tank for it yet, I would basically buy him, and since they cant house him for me, buy a tank, live rock sand, heater and water and filter all in the same day and set it up and keep him...well i dont know where until it all cycles and settles and meets good params. One thing i learned from you buzz killers (j/k) is to take this hobby slowley and have patience. So for once in my life i didnt do something on impulse. lol. Also i was actually hoping for a ,Purple Spotted Mantis Shrimp (Gonodactylus smithii ) they are alot smaller then peacocks. Simply for the fact that i lack room in my apartment and would prefer a 10-12 gallon setup instead of another 20 long or 30 gallon. Apprently there were lots of other ppl interested in it so its no big deal. Plus she said she should be able to get more in anytime i want in the future. Pretty bummed though, got my hopes up. Oh well.

Last edited:
On the flip side, my friend at work who also has a sw tank is getting the mantis i wanted tomorrow...dont know how i feel about that lol. At least i can enjoy it from his house i guess. One day though, im guesstimating before summer ..i will have a mantis tank. OH YES!... i will have a mantis tank.

These aren't cockroaches. There are a lot of us out there that take this seriously and if you wish to keep a mantis you should take it serious too. REASEARCH!

I couldnt agree more Dana, thats why i didnt go and buy the first one i got offered, Didnt feel ready. These are amazing, intelligent creatures with eye sight that could put any human to shame. Everything about them fascinates me, they are the main reason i started a saltwater tank. Ive read a ton about how to take care of them and emailed some very knowledgable ppl about them who were more then willing to give me info. After i get my 10-12 gallon nano set up and cycled and mantis ready. Then i will start looking for one. A purple spotted mantis. Not a peacock. Hence the tank size.

Back