mantis shrimp

jack 85

Reefing newb
a couple of weeks ago started loosing some fish checked all water perams and all fine. then one day by chance noticed something moving inside a rock. tryed to catch it with traps to no avail so dipped rock in cold salt water bucket and it shot out like a bullet lol. turned out to be a mantis shrimp just wondering is there any chance that he killed the fish 1 clown fish 1 emperor angel and a bicolor blennie? fish where intact apart from blennie but think my trigger mite have had a chunk when he was dead?

He could have killed the fish, but he would have eaten them (or at least started to eat them). The telltale sign of a mantis is that the bodies disappear without a trace. If the fish were intact, my money would be on something else killing them.

If you had all those fish in a 40 gallon, then overstocking/crowdedness is a likely culprit. Triggers and angels don't belong in a 40 -- they need much larger tanks.

well the clown i never found. and i check it every day so it was only a couple of hours while i was in work the angel had been dead before i noticed him gutted had him from start and was starting to change to adult :(. same with blennie was ok in morning and when came home was dead. i know tank a bit small am moving house so got bigger tank for when move

Even the 90 corner tank is not big enough for either the trigger or angel.

But i agree with biff, over crowing probably caused the death of the majority of your fish.

I have a separate question. Did the cold saltwater kill the mantis?

I have one right now I hear it popping and would like to get it out of my rocks so I can take it to the LFS but I dont want to kill it.

no didnt kill it when dipped the rock in cold water he shot out and was a bit stunned so grabbed him in net and is now in fish breeder floating in tank main again i dont want to kill him was on his back still moving but in shock or sumin for couple of hours but fine now been feeding him and gona take him to lfs tomorow

Ok thanks I might try this method to get mine out. I spend money on nice live rock and cant even put it in my tank because I dont want the mantis in there so its been in a Pico tank for weeks and I cant catch the little sucker!

ok will do.If you where closer you could have it. some people say to just kill it but i dont see the point its only doing its natural behaviour and it is cool to watch it. if i had room id get another tank but my gf wudnt be to happy lol. How do you get pictures on here i been tryin for ages but just wont show up

The easiest way is to load them to a site like photobucket and then click the button that looks like a picture, which will bring up another little box. In that box you insert the direct link to the picture, click enter and it will enter the correct coding into your post to display the picture

Dana I am going to do this chilly water dip idea to my rock tomorrow and if its a mantis I will give it to you.

I am going to try to video the whole thing and will let you know!

Ok so I tried the dip thing in 70 degree water and NOTHING came out at all.

How cold do you think I should make it?

He didnt come out but whatever it is in the rock is now ticked off because its popping up a storm.

WTF!

GRRR

I sprayed some carbonated water down his cave, he came out a secondary in a bucket when i got rid of mine.
But i would make it a bit colder than that mate IMO.

I dont want to hurt it with carbonated water. I am going to put some of the water in the fridge I guess maybe drop it down to like 60??

yea water was pretty cold.when dipped leave it in there for a couple of mins but had a normal temp bucket ready to put him straight in so didnt die.

I'd be careful trying to play with the temps and mantis'. depending on what area of hte ocean yours is from the cold difference COULD kill it actually. cold water will probably put it into shock (which is what sounds like happened to yours) and you don't wanna do a HUGE temp swing.... ie having one room temp and having once ice cold... that is just death waiting to happen....

Amber, try some fresh water.... and have it to be a bit heated-nothing more than 85 otherwise ya might cook the lil guy.... if he's in the pico you might as well leave him in there? :dunno: he's happy where he's at? lol

Sharkie is right but I didn't think it was Nesassary seeing as she couldn't ID the mantis. Either way nothing is going to be easy. Me personally....
I'd hold the rock put of the water above the tank till he fell out....that's how I got my flametail blenny....just hold a net under neath or have nowhere to hide in the tank

Back