Mantis shrimp!

Washburn82

Reefing newb
lol yes a mantis shrimp, i have been pondering on what to do with my 12 gallon nanocube dx since i got my 20 long. I was thinking of a mantis shrimp to keep solo in the tank. Anyone have or had any experience with these crazy little guys? My cube is made out of glass and i hear if they feel heroic they can actually break it. Just curious of ppls past experiences with these guys. Im looking at the Peacock mantis shrimp. Beautiful creatures.
tumblr_lo8o2i3ZuD1qmih91o1_5001.jpg

AGHHHHHH why did i click here ;_; , just giant colorful cockroaches .........i can feel it crawling on me

Do plenty of research first. Make sure that's what you really want. They are neat, but are or can be VERY agressive. I had one once by accident. It came in my live rock. After it killed just about everything, I had to tear down the tank to catch it.

See my avatar.

Do plenty of research first. Make sure that's what you really want. They are neat, but are or can be VERY agressive. I had one once by accident. It came in my live rock. After it killed just about everything, I had to tear down the tank to catch it.

See my avatar.

This is not an issue if the tank is set up solely for a mantis shrimp. While they can be a pest in normal reef tanks, they are actually one of the most amazing critters in the sea when you start learning about things like the incredible vision that they have

My question is, can you have any sort of a cleanup crew in a tank with them? It doesn't appear so, I wonder how you keep algae under control....

No on the clean up crew, mantis will kill anything it finds, i suppose a few snails if they can hide, but once found they are as good as dead... and i have noo idea

I think the people that have them just restock their CUC. Eventually they all get eaten, but they do their job until they're gone, and the mantis gets fed when he's hungry.

Ya my plans if i did get one. Would be in my 12 gallon nano and it would be just him/her. With liverock. No fish or anything. Although i seen some videos where they have lived happily with fish before. Its a risk though. I bet if you keep him happily fed a CUC might last.

Back