Manual Protein Skimmer?

WannaRace

Reefing newb
As you all may know, I have a 10g tank, upgrading to a 20gL in a couple weeks. I was wondering if a protein skimmer was necessary for this size tank. I have heard that by simply laying a paper towel on the top of the water and peeling it off, it would do the job, maybe not as well but to the effect that you would not need a protein skimmer. Has anyone heard of doing this???

Uhhh I'd say no. Mainly because a protein skimmer works 24 hours a day. The time that you spend with a paper towel isn't going to make a difference. And is not going to oxygenate the water, and will not pull out the cupfulls of gunk that a protein skimmer does.

Yep, Protien skimmer should be on ever saltwater aquarium. With that being said you can be successful with a tank that size with out one as long as you do weekly water changes, have lots of live rock and even some calerpa will help.

Do not skip your water changes or you will end of with issues. Think of what is pulled out in a skimmer. The build up of this waste can be very harmful.

Of course,a skimmer is better than a system without one but isn't necessary on a tank that size.Remember to do regular water changes and stock lightly.It doesn't take much for a nano tank to go out of whack.I've heard of the paper towel trick but I dunno how effective that is.

Good luck

you can get nano skimmers that are very cheap. somewhere around 20 or thirty bucks. i think doctors foster and smith carry them.

You do not need a skimmer for a tank that size, but after buying water and salt for the extra water changes you would need the skimmer would pay for it self over time. No skimmer = more water changes to lower exsess nutrients. adding a skimmer = less water changes because the skimmer is helping clean the water. But no one is not needed for that size tank.

Wannarace.... I would love to if I didn't total my CRX. Anyway heres a little controversy for you. If your already fed up with the 10 Gal why don't you go bigger than a 20. Your going to get fed up with that just as fast. A 30 gallon is a nice size tank with plenty of room to grow, and it would cost you about the same to set up.

Thanks everyone! Well, due to a limited amount of space I think a 20gL is going to satisfy me. After all, RigoSharon has inspired me to create an aquarium just like that! :) I am going to invest in a protein skimmer for sure. Thanks all for the help and input!

Shoot Wannarace
I'm trying to build a raft to get me down to Rigo's place so I can fill my tank like his,lol.
Rigo buddy,,one of these days you'll either see my canoe out in the ocean,or hear on the news that a crazy redneck is trying to paddle to Puerto Rico.

Luck has it that I found a 29 gallon tank in a home doing construction that the owner no longer wants...I bit my tongue and took it! I will definitely need a decent protein skimmer... I am thinking about the Coralife Needle skimmer. I have heard many good things...

Back