Marine plant bleached

michelle

Reefing newb
When I turned my lights on this morning, my small green plant that I have had for about 4 months now, was, well, green. Then, the color seemed to "melt" off and stream into the water (I could watch green lines come from the plant and dissolve into the tank). half an hour later the plant is white.
What would cause this? Is the plant going to die/ Should I remove it now? and will whatever went into my water (chlorophil?) hurt my tank parameters?

Right now ph is 8.1
Nitrates and nitrites are 0
Ammonia is 0
Phospates are 0.25
Calcium is 480

Thanks all

Many people call this asexual but I'm not sure what that actually means.All I know is there insides spew into the water column.IME,this happens with caulerpa way to often to risk using in saltwater.I would remove the dying plant and prepare for water changes....it does add to even more nutrient into the system.

I think it's dead/dying. I'd take it out, or else any phosphates/nitrates it's taken up in itself will be re-released into the water.

Okay, Thanks for the advice. I only had it in there as a food for my snails; They loved it. So, no big loss to remove it.

Back