Marine Salt vs Reef Salt

FishyReef

Broke Reefer!
I accidentally placed an order for Seachem Marine Salt instead of Reef Salt when I made my big equipment and supplies order last week. Its already in route so too late to change. I got 2 containers of 160g worth of salt, thinking it would cover at least the first few months for my 90g. I haven't even cured my live rock yet or cycled my tank, so will have to go through a few water changes at least during that process, but will probably still be using up the marine salts when I start putting livestock in my tank. Is this a big deal? I would like to add a few corals near the beginning, but if I just do soft corals to start with, will they be okay with the marine salt instead of reef salt? Or should I wait to add any corals until I've used up the marine salt?

Thanks!

PS - first shipment of dry rock arrives today - so excited!!

The only difference between the two are the Cal, Alk, and Mag levels after their mixed. Both will work just fine for FO or reef tanks.

Cal Alk Mag
SeaChem Marine Salt 500 10 1400​

SeaChem Reef Salt 540 10 1450​

Great topic. I was wondering if I should switch myself. I am using Instant Ocean (Purple lid/label), Since I am adding corals now, I was wondering if I should switch over to the Instant Ocean Reef salt. (Orange lid/label) I think I will switch once I run out, but I'm not going out of my way to make a change now!

You got how much salt? I buy in the 5 gallon buckets. Each is good for 160 or so gallons of water. I just cracked open my second bucket. Two 10 gallon water changes used from it. It will be MONTHS before I buy more salt. You won't do a water change until after the cycle is done, so I think you have enough salt to last you for a while! My 90 has been up and running since August, so one bucket made it 4 1/2 months or so. This one will be longer since I'm not making 120 gallons for a start up.

Good luck and keep us posted on how it comes along.

Not a big deal. Just don't make any drastic changes to your tank and you'll be fine. You can start by doing your normal water changes using the new salt and slowly transition over. In reality, alk and phosphate are the only two parms I normally routinely check. Most other values tend to be relatively stable.

Back